support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Recording with clip on mic

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Well I finally got round to getting an xlr to usb so I can record directly into audacity on the laptop using my Shure Beta 98 h/c clip on mic, it is recording very faintly - barely audible and tons of hiss/white noise....I've turned the record level right up and it's still really faint.

any thoughts anyone? :(

No but I have a phantom box I can use - I assumed it wouldn't work at all if it needed phantom? usually it needs phantom to go into a mixer!

Ha! just tried it - it works really well now! now my problem is that even with the input volume turned right down to 1 the input monitor is on the red all the time - although it doesn't sound distorted? :confused:

If you plonk the resulting sound file into Audacity or something you can see if it's clipping or not.

Yeah it's clipping really badly even with the input and output volumes on 0 !!??:confused:

Oh dear. What exactly is your set-up for doing this?

You probably need to fiddle with your sound card controls.

seems to be working okay now - strange! the only thing I can't do now is hear my backing track (which I could with the Zoom) while I'm playing so I'll have to play that on another player with headphones on and then sync the tracks manually. Very pleased with the sound quality though :thumb:

Your always going to get key noise

Is that all?!! I was really worried there for minute - I thought my laptop was gonna blow up! :shocked: ;}

I'm not worried about that - I'm not looking to sell CDs and I certainly don't want to spend any more money!! just want to be able to get a half decent recording and I'm really happy with the sound quality :thumb:

Is that all?!! I was really worried there for minute - I thought my laptop was gonna blow up! :shocked: ;}

I'm not worried about that - I'm not looking to sell CDs and I certainly don't want to spend any more money!! just want to be able to get a half decent recording and I'm really happy with the sound quality :thumb:

Well if your happy that's the key, key as in all that matters and not in key noise >:) just heard your new track and it does sounds good. You might hear more on a sparce ballad but again if your not bothered your sorted ;}

Well if your happy that's the key, key as in all that matters and not in key noise >:) just heard your new track and it does sounds good. You might hear more on a sparce ballad but again if your not bothered your sorted ;}

Thanks Davey - yeah for now I'm not worried - probably will get more fussy as time goes on :thumb:

ps - not sure why I ended up posting this in Teaching?!! Mods please feel free to move somewhere more appropriate :thumb:

If you are keen on the mic but want to avoid the key noise (if you record a ballad, for example), you can always clip the mic onto something other than the bell of the sax and play into it. I've found that a music stand work really well for this purpose.

If you are keen on the mic but want to avoid the key noise (if you record a ballad, for example), you can always clip the mic onto something other than the bell of the sax and play into it. I've found that a music stand work really well for this purpose.

Yes it's my gig mic - superb quality (I also have a wireless one I like it so much!) - I thought of that - wasn't sure if it actually would avoid key noise but thanks I will try next time :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom