All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Recording gear

Di in France

I want to start to record, but don't want anything complicated. Is it possible to get reasonable quality with a direct to laptop microphone (presumably that's a usb), or is just not worth it?
If not, what other options do I have.
I've done a search, but most of the threads are pretty old, so need some up to date info. :)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Could you be a bit more precise about what you want to record?
My first advice, not knowing anything, would be a Zoom H1 or H2 and some basic software (I use Logic express, but on this forum audacity is quite popular).

Di in France

Hi,
I'd like to record myself with and without backing tracks to have a record of my progress ( or not). I'd like to be able to record quickly and easily directly to my laptop without having to bother with mixing desks etc as I know nothing about them. I've heard of Audacity, but know nothing about recording software, so a little bit of advice about this would be very much appreciated. :D

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hi,
I'd like to record myself with and without backing tracks to have a record of my progress ( or not). I'd like to be able to record quickly and easily directly to my laptop without having to bother with mixing desks etc as I know nothing about them. I've heard of Audacity, but know nothing about recording software, so a little bit of advice about this would be very much appreciated. :D
Zoom H2, as posted in another thread.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Just hear what you sound like and where your mistakes (or personal idiosyncracies) are you can use a cheap mic direct into the laptop and record using Audacity which is very simple to use in a basic way.
The mic I use is on a 'headset' that was free with a previous computer that had some speech to type software included, so it can't be great quality but it works. I play back through a pair of powered speakers that again came with that machine.

jrintaha

An extremely simple, free for personal use recording software: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

You essentially open the program, press "record" and then you're ready to go. It can do things other than just that, but they're not pushed in front of your face, so it's very simple to use for simple things.

Even a cheap modern electret mic sounds pretty OK, and if you just want to listen to how accurately you can play things, it'll be fine. I use a Rode NT1-A through a Line 6 guitar / mic interface (the NT1-A requires phantom power, so you can't directly plug it in with an XLR->3.5mm adapter), and even though the mic is hardly an expensive one (I think it was around 150e with a shock guard, pop filter, mic stand, cables, guide DVD, everything included), it sounds great. I've used it for vocals, acoustic guitar, accordion, sax, clarinet, ocarina and xaphoon.

IMO it's considerably better than my Audix OM2, or the Shure SM58, which is probably the most popular live mic ever manufactured, because it can double as a hammer and still work afterwards.

Di in France

Thanks for all the info guys, I've ordered a Zoom H2N, so will (hopefully) get some recordings done when it arrives.:)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom