All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Accessories Recommended case for a Zephyr Special tenor

Jimmymack

I’ve posted this same question in the other place as well. I just got a new Zephyr Special tenor that came in a well beaten Hiscox that needs replacing. I’ve mainly been looking at BAM cases and had my eye on the Hightech but according to an old thread on SOTW it doesn’t fit which seems odd. I use a BAM trekking with my S20 that the Zephyr sits in pretty comfortably and I will go for another of those if there’s nothing better but I would prefer something different.

I want something that will go on my back and prefer squarer cases that can stand on their end and have some space for music but I’m open to all informed suggestions.

Thanks

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
I haven't ordered one in a couple of years, so things may be different now, but the BAM France Trekking for alto and tenor (a "tray-pac style" case, but kind of the ulimate one) would accomdate a wide variety of old American saxophones. The "Soft Pack" -- the one with hard grey rubber on one side, colored/glossy plastic on the other -- fits opposing bell key saxophones and old American saxophones when you remove the interior storage compartment shell.

The latter is one of the better deals around, dollar for dollar, if you get a good price.

BAM used to police its MAP very actively and closely, but lately there has been someone flouting that policy on Amazon. I would take a quick look there if you go this route.

Right side (player's orientation) vintage horns may fit more cases than you think, though. I haven't tried lately, but I can see if a Zephyr alto fits some of the modern cases I have here. If it fits one, it likely fits most. If it applies to the alto, it probably applies to the tenor (but not necessarily). I don't have a Zephyr tenor here at the moment, but I do have an alto.

Jimmymack

Thanks, this is good info. I've been looking at that one, I think it's the New Trekking, but it's hard to find anybody with one in stock to actually put the horn in. The Trekking is the one I have for the S20 and the Zephyr fits it pretty well but I wanted something that allowed me to tell them apart easily, not an insoluble problem I know, and I also liked the look and characteristics of some of these other cases, particularly the security and protection offered by the HighTech, although this comes at quite a price. When I got theTrekking I was amazed that out of four options it was the only one that the S20 would fit. Amazon UK lists a lot of BAM cases but doesn't actually have any sellers.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Thanks, this is good info. I've been looking at that one, I think it's the New Trekking, but it's hard to find anybody with one in stock to actually put the horn in. The Trekking is the one I have for the S20 and the Zephyr fits it pretty well but I wanted something that allowed me to tell them apart easily, not an insoluble problem I know, and I also liked the look and characteristics of some of these other cases, particularly the security and protection offered by the HighTech, although this comes at quite a price. When I got theTrekking I was amazed that out of four options it was the only one that the S20 would fit. Amazon UK lists a lot of BAM cases but doesn't actually have any sellers.
No problem. Yes: for Zephyrs, the main challenge for cases is the playerside clothes guard (the trangular-ish guard).

The news I have is fairly predictable: I tested a Zephyr alto in a Taiwan-made black ABS contoured case for modern saxophones. It's basically the same design as a BAM "Soft Pack" but with a sturdier outer construction and a less plush (less fancy, less fine) interior. It has the same inner-accessories-compartment-under-pullout-shell design as the BAM, and the Zephyr fits, though very snugly, with the compartment shell removed -- but not with the shell in. I don't have the BAM for alto here, at the moment, but I imagine it will be the same for BAM.

The Trekking is so accomodating in part because the inner construction is giving in a good way -- not from weakness or looseness but from the foam under the cloth being a better grade than for the vast majority of cases (pliable but firm, regular, giving but with structural integrity).

You can force the case shut, a bit, with that type of interior contstruction, but the same's not advisable for interiors like the old SKB "rug over hard styro" construction; in the latter case, though, you can beat the styro up with a hammer til it accomodates the shape you want it to accomodate. I've actually done that latter "mod" (lol) several times over the years.

I would imagine you're going to find that most cases confirmed for other vintage American makes will be OK, but the King clothes/body guard will prevent it fitting most modern cases without a stipulation like "remove interior accessories compartment shell before using."

:cheers:

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Oh: yes: if you want BAM, you probably need to order in advance of your supplier having them physically in stock. They are sold out of what I want, when I call to order, the majority of the time ("normally"). Almost every BAM I've ever sold has been bought in advance of it being in stock at BAM (I sometimes stock them physically, but rarely -- with that MAP line-stepper messing up the marketplace on Amazon, there isn't much cause, at least for me, to stock them).

Jimmymack

I’m coming round to just buying a Trekking, since I know it fits it really is a no brainer, but there you go. I was, and probably still will, thinking of going to the local shop and trying the Hightech until I started reading about the latches which seem to have caused quite a few people grief. Strange that they would put such fragile sounding latches on a case that’s meant to be tougher than most. I never worried about the latches on a Hiscox. The same shop sells the Trekking, in stock at time of writing, so I’ll come away with something. I found a place selling the Trekking for £90 less but only as a back order with an estimated wait of 3-4 weeks or longer. Again, if I was being sensible I would put in the order and wait but we’ll see.

As I said I was amazed at how many modern cases wouldn’t fit the S20. I have to say that I think I draw the line at having to take a hammer to the styro.

Thanks for responding you’ve helped my thinking along.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom