support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Recommendations for sturdy quick pop up music stand please?

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
Hi folks, I've had a standard cheapo telescopic fold away stand for few years now but it is starting to struggle with the weight of my ring binder. Also, it never really copes well with wind, I play outside with a bunch of people approx half a dozen times per year. Lastly, it would be great if it had a quick pop up/take down action as it will be used away from my house at least twice a week. I'm not phased by a bit of extra weight but I would like to maintain the pool cue case style/size if poss.

I'd love to here any positive experiences you've had with this type of stand.
Cheers,

Unfortunately, the standard type of music stand is relatively light and therefore top-heavy and unstable when a lot of music is on the desk.

For the very rare times when I conduct a group from choir (usually at Christmas when we're trying to earn some money for funds) I had to go for a conductor's type stand. These are usually in two parts: the base and stem, the legs of which fold along the stem and the desk. Something like this which a bit of searching you should be able to get for about £20. They are much more stable than the other type.

You could try 'marrying' a telescope tripod to the top of a music stand.

I've got 2 music stands (well 3 but that's owned by MWO) one is a flimsy cheapo, which does the job n the house also i have one named a 'klinsmann' which is very sturdy for a fold away stand, i got it from ebay for £7...bargain.

Try - Dawkes.co.uk - they have a good range that is always available ex stock and are normally very well priced against compation But as Trimmy did. try eBay when you know the make you want. Or Gumtree

I've got 2 music stands (well 3 but that's owned by MWO) one is a flimsy cheapo, which does the job n the house also i have one named a 'klinsmann' which is very sturdy for a fold away stand, i got it from ebay for £7...bargain.

Googled Klinsmann but didn't come up with anything I'm afraid :(

Try - Dawkes.co.uk - they have a good range that is always available ex stock and are normally very well priced against compation But as Trimmy did. try eBay when you know the make you want. Or Gumtree

Cheers I found 16 stands but I'm still none the wiser re which is a good one to buy

Try this one. I have one and it is excellent.

http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/k%26amp%3bm+music+stand+3+section+large+desk+10065+-ams261.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Hercules stand - not sure if it's really what you are looking for.

http://www.herculesstands.com/music/BS311B.html

Very sturdy, relative easy to take apart and put together, heavy, not cheap!
If you get the bag (a separate purchase) you can get an instrument stand inside it easily too.
I've had mine about a year and can't fault it.

I have a Hercules stand - not sure if it's really what you are looking for.

http://www.herculesstands.com/music/BS311B.html

Very sturdy, relative easy to take apart and put together, heavy, not cheap!
If you get the bag (a separate purchase) you can get an instrument stand inside it easily too.
I've had mine about a year and can't fault it.

Thanks, it would certainly cope with my ever expanding file for a while but I'm not sure I want to move away from the compact design of the fold up stand. I've seen people carrying these about and it looks like it introduces an additional hassle I'm not sure I could live with.

Use a lyre.

Thanks for the thought Colin, I presume you're talking about something like this:

I think I might having difficulty flicking though the pages of my ring binder though :w00t: I'm not sure I can focus that closely anymore either

This is the portable stand I have used for several years. K & M Heavy Duty Folding Stand

It is a bit expensive, but it will be the last stand you will ever need to buy.

If you can decide what stand you want, a little patience will probably turn it up on ebay for virtually nothing...

If it's a ring binder file why not remove the piece you're using from the file to the stand and replace it when finished. Or have sub files a to c, d to e etc. Or photograph them all onto a tablet. You can play angry birds during your rests then.