All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

recently acquired Conn Baritone Saxophone (gold plated?) - looking for more info and

SneakerHeadPhil

Serial is 38580 i believe this sax is in playable condition and also has the neck piece w/ the same serial number as the horn.

a close friend of mine sent me this while doing some research for me: The Serial number dates it to 1917 not a whole lot of gold plated horns where made then. It was the same year John Philip Sousa had a gold plated horn made for every one in his outfit. JPS is one of the foremost band composers and inventor of the Sousaphone

does this seem to be true information?
thanks for any help and info

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Re: recently acquired Conn Baritone Saxophone (gold plated?) - looking for more info

Did you take a look at saxpics.com? Quite a lot of good history there about Conns.

Looks to be a New Wonder. Be careful, serial number charts are at best a guide. And in the bigger saxes, older designs tended to stay in production for quite a while after the altos and tenors had switched to newer designs. Even if the baris and basses carried the new model name.

You have, drawn, but not rolled tone holes, haynes tone hole patent no and CG Conn Ltd engraving, which does point to 1917 or later.

You're also lucky that this is a low pitch horn - it plays at current concert pitch. Many US made horns from this period were made to a higher pitch standard and won't play in tune with modern instruments.

Comparing photos is usually the best bet for identification, as well as well researched descriptions of identifying features. .

AndyWhiteford

Re: recently acquired Conn Baritone Saxophone (gold plated?) - looking for more info

maybe just the light, but I look at it & see (tarnished?) silver plated body with gold plated keywork, that was definitely a Conn option for some years. Nice ;-)
I ,too, am a little sceptical about serial number charts from those days, seems like the same lists of "guesstimates" gets pasted around all the sax forums and these guesses are now taken as "Gospel" .

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom