Tutorials

Recent forum issues

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
There have been some odd issues which some people have noticed.

I'm posting this here rather than the forum problems section as more people will see it.

The problems are that sometimes (on some browsers), visited links (ie threads you have read) are still showing as bold type as if they haven't been visited.

I am finding that emptying the browser cache and refreshing the page sorts this, but of course you shouldn't have to do that.

I have now changed some settings, so it may or may not be fixed. Or it may be fixed after emptying cache. I don't know.

Please keep me informed if you notice anything odd (or not odd)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Read threads remain bold for me. They seemed to be on a timer before, so that once I went intot he forum and looked at a couple of things, leaving the rest, next time I came in, everything was marked as read - menat I missed posts. Now they're just staying bold, perhpas it's only for longer.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
One issue seems to be that when you go to a room from the main menu - e.g. breakfastroom, the latest version of the page isn't presented - you need to use F5 to refresh it. This may explain the commetn about some posts not being visible.

Old posts, pre Xmas, seem to remain as read, but newer ones not.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Whole forum has just lost the yellow colour scheme...
Yes, that's fine, it is a new look. I didn't like the orange/yellow.

Also as I am about to upgrade to vbulletin 4 (with loads of nice new features), it all had to be redisigned anyway as the current vbulletin style would not easily translate to vb4.

I also felt the beans background was rather dark and doomy, I like them at the top and as you may have noticed the whole architecture of the site has changed, with a new site for the saxophone stuff Taming the saxophone.

This has taken place after some marketing consultancy, so it was important to have a stronger "brand" look for the cafe (hence the new logo) to differentiate it from the Taming The Saxophone site.

The beans at the top therefore become part of the brand look, which didn't work with them as the background.

I apologise to those who don't like things to change, but this is not just tinkering about, there is a rational marketing strategy behind it all. And hopefully this will help raise more money for the charities.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Agree - I wasn't keen on the orange/yellow, either, this is much easier to read. Just wasn't sure if it was intentional, or another gremlin creeping in...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The bold/non bold now works for me if I refresh every time I load a page.

Could be you deleted some tags in your clean-up/mods.

Have a look here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibraries/a/use_meta_tags.htm

Take a look at cache-control and expires tags. I'm guessing there used to be a refresh tag previously, this would force a reload after a fixed number of seconds - this may be what you need, to get ads updating often.

Hope this helps, I don't do much html...

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Could be you deleted some tags in your clean-up/mods.

Have a look here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibraries/a/use_meta_tags.htm

Take a look at cache-control and expires tags. I'm guessing there used to be a refresh tag previously, this would force a reload after a fixed number of seconds - this may be what you need, to get ads updating often.
No, I changed nothing like that at all.

I have tested with the default vbulletin settings and the problem is still there.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Following advice from vbulletin, I have now changed the type of Thread/Forum Read Marking Type. As I suspected, it can't be due to any cosmetic changes to the header and background.

For this to kick in you should all click on "Mark Forums Read" at the bottom of the main page. (also empty cache and reload the page)

Let's see if this fixes it.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Anyone having problems after doing the above, please try the default style (see your CP or drop down menu at bottom left of main forum page). Again, empty cache and reload page.

See if that helps at all.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Tried that Pete but it seems that even if I change the CP style it doesn't affect all views/pages so I have left it grey now.
It should work on all pages, but you have to empty cache after choosing the new style.

All the issues are around emptying the cache it seems, but I have the vBulletin support team looking into it.

edit edit

half diminished

It should work on all pages, but you have to empty cache after choosing the new style.

All the issues are around emptying the cache it seems, but I have the vBulletin support team looking into it.

edit edit
I presume emptying cache will empty all cache so that's not an ideal option. Hopefully your support will fix this as it's a bit of a pain. Some new stuff I can see, others not.

Top Bottom