All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Really helpful if "new members" use a more individual Title!

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

The title says it all. I am just aware that some Titles are more impactfull than others, and easier to remember as a consequence. The advantage with this is that I am more likely to engage with a new thread - Name + Good Title = more responsiveness!

So could I encourage "New Members" to call a thread something other than just "New Member". Examples might be "Newbie from the North..", "Latest Sax Dude", "A Rover from Doncaster", or anything that has a little more individuality.

New Members will always be welcomed warmly and treated well, but it may help some of us to remember who you are a little more easily:w00t:

Kind regards
The Skabertawe Horn Section:cool:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Bleedin kognative cycos wrubesh, jus kal youselff Nobbie 1, Noobie 2 etc etc. Wood go onn but wot coms arfter 2?

Reactions: jos

Sunray

Don't stop makin us larf - but ....[Music Maestro - please]

Bleedin kognative cycos wrubesh, jus kal youselff Nobbie 1, Noobie 2 etc etc. Wood go onn but wot coms arfter 2?
Post us n00bs a tune OG ... ;}

Comon man - play us sumit ...

We've only erd you chatter ... let yourself go - sing wiv yer Sax ... :w00t:

PS - Tom - Are you an Owl? - you are so astute and wise! - *Respect mate* :welldone

Last edited by a moderator:

dooce

As I was sitting in front of the screen and had a calculator to hand, I worked out that the threads titled "new member" or some derivation thereof had drawn, on average 22 responses each. It would be far too sad to then work out how that compared to threads with witty and incisive titles - oh, sorry, there aren't any.....

I take this as one of those "must get out more" signs.

Rogerb

Even more useful, IMO, would be a plea for the use of 'meaningful' thread titles, rather than, for example, "Help Wanted!", so that you can pick-out the 'interesting'(to you) threads with a quick scan.
It's a common failing in forums, as is the apparently paranoid desire for secrecy in personal profiles(probably more often just laziness!).......I think it's very useful to know a bit about a poster so that you can put his/her posts into some sort of 'context'.

TomMapfumo

Hi Roger!

Very good points - certainly would be a little more engaging, and add to the warm positive atmosphere in the Cafe.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

TomMapfumo

Awesome........................................................:w00t:;}

Sax Wizard of Oz........?

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
What happens to threads that aren't sticky?
They sediment in the forgotten depths of the forum, only to be retrieved if someone really looks for them. Where this particular corporate sounding thread might find itself more at ease.

TomMapfumo

Too many people just wrote "Hi" or "Hello" and they were harder to remember overall. More individual titles seem to bring more responses and encourage better, less formal communication.........

Kind regards
Tom

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Too many people just wrote "Hi" or "Hello" and they were harder to remember overall. More individual titles seem to bring more responses and encourage better, less formal communication.........

Kind regards
Tom
And that's why it's sticky.

BigMartin

This thread just reminded me of one of my favourite jokes.

Q: What's brown and sticky?

A: A stick!

jos

Although I understand the comments put forward, it's not a welcoming direction to take, when some one comes on that's new and just wants to say Hello, and doesn't know anyone! Maybe you should take this into account!!

TomMapfumo

The more unmemorable the title, the fewer the comments /responses people receive. If I introduced myself as "Newbie from Wales" I am sure more people would respond than if I put "Hello". Nobody needs to know any more about me - I'm just writing facts. It does not have to be humorous or clever in any way, just a little more communicative. Why would anyone join a forum unless they wanted to make contact with people that they don't already know? If I was introducing myself as "Newbie from Wales" my opening post may well be. "Just saying hello. Just bought an alto sax and have my first lesson tomorrow". I am sure that plenty of people will respond in a straightforward and friendly way. I am only suggesting that having a longer title than "Hello" is likely to be more to be remembered and responded to.

So I totally disagree - perfectly possible to say hello, but giving a title will result in a more extensive response in my experience. People can join the forum without ever needing to introduce themselves in "Breakfast Room", and only introduce themselves as and when they want to, with no pressure, so also possible to get an idea of lots of Cafe Sax members before ever introducing themselves.
Kind regards
Tom

jos

The more unmemorable the title, the fewer the comments /responses people receive. If I introduced myself as "Newbie from Wales" I am sure more people would respond than if I put "Hello". Nobody needs to know any more about me - I'm just writing facts. It does not have to be humorous or clever in any way, just a little more communicative. Why would anyone join a forum unless they wanted to make contact with people that they don't already know? If I was introducing myself as "Newbie from Wales" my opening post may well be. "Just saying hello. Just bought an alto sax and have my first lesson tomorrow". I am sure that plenty of people will respond in a straightforward and friendly way. I am only suggesting that having a longer title than "Hello" is likely to be more to be remembered and responded to.

So I totally disagree - perfectly possible to say hello, but giving a title will result in a more extensive response in my experience. People can join the forum without ever needing to introduce themselves in "Breakfast Room", and only introduce themselves as and when they want to, with no pressure, so also possible to get an idea of lots of Cafe Sax members before ever introducing themselves.
Kind regards
Tom

Hi, I stated before, I do understand the point, but for one second put yourself in a new-comers position. It was not a very welcoming or gracious statement to come out with. May be it would have been more fitting to put this as a general comment when it was not in response to some one new saying hello. I'm sure your comment was not intended to belittle or offend, but if you stop and think about it, maybe possibly you could see that was possible in this circumstance ... Shall we say due to timing of it.

I hope the weather is not too bad where you are and that you have a good evening.
Best wishes
Jos

TomMapfumo

I started as a new-comer and also stop and think about things. Anything else I can do? I did not make this a "sticky". Others thought that it would help people when introducing themselves on the forum. It was contributed as an open thought based on my actual experience of not having a strong sense of who people were and I found myself rather discouraged from responding to new-comers.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I can take on board what you are saying. I just think your response is quite subjective - I think that what I wrote is welcoming and I would have really found it an encouragement when posting for the first time, when I was a newcomer.
If you want it removed as a sticky then please take it up with those that administer the forum.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom