Ready, Steady....... SAX

SaxDon

Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
Watched Strictly last night and was asked to Wiki Ainsley Harriott... apparently his uncle was a pretty good saxophonist. His name was Joe Harriott - an exponent of free jazz. Will have to check him out properly later.

Anyone heard of him?

Of course ! One of the absolute bestest alto players who could play in a range of styles - not just free jazz. I didn't realise he was related to Ainsley.

Joe Harriott and Stan Tracey - In A Sentimental Mood

Check out Joe on Indo Jazz fusions, playing with Michael Garrick and the Proper Box set "The Joe Harriott Story".

Joe could really play the blues. Look out for a rare recording called "Mr Blueshead" that is really primal.

Rhys

Watched Strictly last night and was asked to Wiki Ainsley Harriott... apparently his uncle was a pretty good saxophonist. His name was Joe Harriott - an exponent of free jazz. Will have to check him out properly later.

Anyone heard of him?

It would not be hard for me to cite him as my favourite alto player.

Beyond pretty good.

I had no idea either! Great music! Thank you for this thread!

Of course ! One of the absolute bestest alto players who could play in a range of styles - not just free jazz. I didn't realise he was related to Ainsley.

Joe Harriott and Stan Tracey - In A Sentimental Mood

Check out Joe on Indo Jazz fusions, playing with Michael Garrick and the Proper Box set "The Joe Harriott Story".

Joe could really play the blues. Look out for a rare recording called "Mr Blueshead" that is really primal.

Rhys
Wonderful! I love them! I need these records in my collection.

Funny how these things come about!
Yes definitely!
I've found that Indo Jazz record before on YouTube as it appeared in the side bar whilst I was looking at other records that must have been similar. I loved it and went off on an Indo Jazz hunt. I didn't take note of the name however.
I'm always looking for inspiring Alto players who don't always stick to "soft" smooth jazz styles.

I've got a tape of Indo-Jazz Fusions that I made in the 60's, I'll have to find it, haven't listened to it for years.
Wasn't one of the tracks the music for 'Top of the Form'?

All you alto folk : Good day. A good bit of Peter King should be about right. Very sad about Phil Woods: ( bit weird taking Bird's wife etc. ) Seriously; I have always championed Peter King as the greatest alto player since Bird

I've got a tape of Indo-Jazz Fusions that I made in the 60's, I'll have to find it, haven't listened to it for years.
Wasn't one of the tracks the music for 'Top of the Form'?
Oh you are lucky! A tape which still plays??