support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Re-pad for £155

Further information from my techie and £155 re-pad charges -

In reply to your query regarding prices, I am not surprised that people are questioning the price, but let me reassure you that my standards, the quality of my work, and my customer services are no less than those of other repairers anywhere else in the country.

What makes the difference is regional cost of living: London and the Home Counties are so much more expensive in most respects than rural Shropshire. This is reflected in the relatively low prices I am able to charge. I also work from my work-shop at home, so very little in the way of overheads.

My charges are, as with other repairers, based on time and materials: time is charged at £35.00 per hour and materials are what they are. In other words, a full set of generic parts will cost less than a full set of genuine manufacturer’s parts. Ultimately, though, the customer calls the shots i.e. you choose the quality of pad and I will tell you the price of the re-pad. On top of that, I never undertake any work without first consulting, and agreeing it with, the customer. That way, the customer is always in control of the repair and I get satisfied customers.’

Sorry for being skeptical: so according to the above, it takes him 4 hours to do: strip down, clean all rods/screws/through rod keys, clean body and neck(inside and out), replace any springs, remove all pads+old shellac, ensure keywork is tight, possibly swedge a couple of keys, replace all pads, adjust pads' seating, replace all felts and corks (including neck cork), regulate, play test then do final adjustments... and I've probably skipped a step or two... I don't know! I must be doing something wrong! Let me know how it goes, I might sub contract to him!
Btw, did you get a quote from Rupert Noble?
Cheers,
M.

Will report back on the results as a lot of people appear very interested. None so much as me! I did get a quote from Rujpert -

total repad (includes all keys refitting/all corks felts replaced/dents /solder jobs/springs plus 1 year guarantee ) 280.00down from that tend to go by what people want to spend...best to see job to assess really...turnaround time..service 1-2 days ...complete 3-5days..book it in by ringing.
rupert.x

He is obviously a seasoned professional who conducts work of the best standard from what I have heard and read.

Let's get this straight - I am no expert on what Geoff is doing! If I was I would be doing it myself! Let's all wait and see when I get my sax back and get it tested by my tutor.

You will get an honest response from me.

Will report back on the results as a lot of people appear very interested. None so much as me! I did get a quote from Rujpert -

total repad (includes all keys refitting/all corks felts replaced/dents /solder jobs/springs plus 1 year guarantee ) 280.00down from that tend to go by what people want to spend...best to see job to assess really...turnaround time..service 1-2 days ...complete 3-5days..book it in by ringing.
rupert.x

He is obviously a seasoned professional who conducts work of the best standard from what I have heard and read.

Hi Prof
I am thinking that 280 is a very goooooood price. Dawkes at 400 is about what i have been hearing
PS. I rang your guy today explaining i have 3 Conn NW11 that need re-padding and set-up, but he didnt get back to me as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again , if you could wait untill you've had some work done by this guy and can report back on what's actually been done then you'll probably get a better response from seasoned players and repairers with decades of experience in the field.

At present you've backed a horse, with long odds ,on a tip from its own stable. I hope it turns out well.

However if this all goes pear shaped then....
sCh_christianpray3.gif

enough said.

Firstly - Geoff is away for a couple of days - Jamesmac - on holiday

Secondly - when I took out references I can only believe what is being said and written by other people and shops that Geoff is attached to in business. Not such long odds I believe and my dealings with him have been very professional. I hope he is a good find for this forum - along with Dawkes, Rupert and all of the other techies mentioned.

I do get the strange feeling that some people hope that it doesn't go well.........is that paranoia settling in!!!!!!

PS. I am not a dealer far from it. but i played a 1940s 6m about a year ago and sold it on thinking the modern ergos were more suited to me. { from a pro Clarinet background } but i still think and lust after the sound of the Conn despite now playing a Custom Yamaha, which is great. But i have imported 4 Conn NW11 That need total refurbishment, and from the bunch, i will pick one , and sell on the others, so the cost of re-padding is crucial. I dont plan to make any profit from this enterprise. Just hope i get my money back. So the reason i find this thread interesting. Hope you see my point , as i am not just a guy to take advantage of a tech for pure profit.

Surely the forum members will pay for this work because of my adventurous ways?!!!! It would also be good - as someone has already suggested - to allocate a space for techies/references (good and bad), etc. We could all benefit.

Firstly - Geoff is away for a couple of days - Jamesmac - on holiday

Secondly - when I took out references I can only believe what is being said and written by other people and shops that Geoff is attached to in business. Not such long odds I believe and my dealings with him have been very professional. I hope he is a good find for this forum - along with Dawkes, Rupert and all of the other techies mentioned.

I do get the strange feeling that some people hope that it doesn't go well.........is that paranoia settling in!!!!!!

Hope he enjoys his holiday, wish i could afford the time and money

Hi Prof
just to let you know, Geoff rang back today, and we spoke about the prospect of having my 3 Conn NW11 repadded and set-up.
He gave me the same quote as yourself £155 each one, so I will be keen to hear how happy you are with your sax, when you get it back.
Re. Jamesmac

I have been following this thread with interest. Before one can work out whether the cost is Cheap or value for money will depend on what service is being offered.
If it is a case of replacing the old pads for new ones and not carrying out any associated work on the keys, straightening, swedging, key cup alignment, post alignment, rectifying binding key rods, tone hole leveling etc. Then £155 could be a fair price for the work done.

Sometimes one man's repad is another mans overhaul. What's included in the price is what's important IMHO

I typically charge around £150 for a saxophone service and from £320 for a repad.

and here's what you get for your money http://www.dg-music.co.uk/?page_id=851

I have been following this thread with interest. Before one can work out whether the cost is Cheap or value for money will depend on what service is being offered.
If it is a case of replacing the old pads for new ones and not carrying out any associated work on the keys, straightening, swedging, key cup alignment, post alignment, rectifying binding key rods, tone hole leveling etc. Then £155 could be a fair price for the work done.

Sometimes one man's repad is another mans overhaul. What's included in the price is what's important IMHO

I typically charge around £150 for a saxophone service and from £320 for a repad.

Snazzy new website Griff, very nice!

Back
Top Bottom