support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Re-Entering the WWW :-D (Woodwind World)

Lloyd88

Hi guys, my name's Lloyd and I hail from Washington, UK, Tyne & Wear.

My Dad got me an Alto when I was 14, I played for nearly 2 years but lost motivation. I lost my Dad when I was 17 and have found it hard to return. After recently moving home I came across my Sax, I picked it up and had a little play......... :w00t: what a buzz! I have decided to give it a go. I'm now 24 and ready to pick it back up and blow again! I feel close to my Dad when I play, I was too young and naive to see it like that earlier. Gonna finish what I started ;-)

My Sax is a Jupiter 500 I will never let it go because of the emotional connections I have with it. It still sounds good and is in very good condition. As I become more experienced I will invest in a more advanced Sax. My uncle is a pro, as well as my cousin (his son) and are both very successul travelling to London, New Orleans even performing for Richard Branson at one point.

I'm looking forward to exploring this forum.
My teacher was Tommy Moran, I wonder if he's still teaching and if he'll remember me.

Thanks for your time... here's a face for the name... (attachments)
Lloyd

Attachments

• 4e9317823609d.jpg
    4e9317823609d.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 702422_3767730.jpg
    702422_3767730.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 639_1.jpg
    639_1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 96
Hi Lloyd, you are doing the right thing now. My parents bought me my first instrument and like you I gave it up for ten years. I still have the clarinet and it still plays. Getting back into music is the best thing I have ever done, and playing in bands is great fun.

Welcome to the cafe.

Jim.

Hello. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I live in Thomasville, NC and used to be a professional saxophonist. I miss it greatly. My daddy was my biggest fan. He passed away 4 years ago and I played at his funeral. It was incredibly difficult but it felt right. I felt as if it was the best thing I could do for him. He got me my first saxophone when I was 12 or 13 and I studied with the New Century Saxophone Quartet, James Kalyn, and so many more wonderful saxophonists. I have my babies, which are Yanigisawa Professional Silver Series Alto and Soprano. I miss performing. Now, I only play at weddings, funerals, or church. This is a long way away from touring with my quartet or playing with a wind ensemble.

Ash

Hi Lloyd!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in South Wales, mind! Last time I was in Washington was the summer of 1980 - working at the Playbarn with the local youngsters, and shopping in the Galleries. Touched by your story, and great that you have taken up the sax again after a sad time.

You are very welcome here and I look forward to keeping in touch with your questions, contributions and similar.
Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

Welcome to the cafe Lloyd:)

You will find lots of help and support here, I am sure you will soon be on the road with your uncle and cousin.

Jx

Welcome to the cafe Lloyd, I hope your sax always brings your Dad to your side.
Like Ash, I too lost my Dad four years ago and I also played at his funeral. It was very difficult but it was a very special moment for me. My sax playing is the one thing that made my Dad proud of me and that will always push me to continue. Long may yours push you too.

Hi guys, my name's Lloyd and I hail from Washington, UK, Tyne & Wear.

My Dad got me an Alto when I was 14, I played for nearly 2 years but lost motivation. I lost my Dad when I was 17 and have found it hard to return. After recently moving home I came across my Sax, I picked it up and had a little play......... :w00t: what a buzz! I have decided to give it a go. I'm now 24 and ready to pick it back up and blow again! I feel close to my Dad when I play, I was too young and naive to see it like that earlier. Gonna finish what I started ;-)

My Sax is a Jupiter 500 I will never let it go because of the emotional connections I have with it. It still sounds good and is in very good condition. As I become more experienced I will invest in a more advanced Sax. My uncle is a pro, as well as my cousin (his son) and are both very successul travelling to London, New Orleans even performing for Richard Branson at one point.

I'm looking forward to exploring this forum.
My teacher was Tommy Moran, I wonder if he's still teaching and if he'll remember me.

Thanks for your time... here's a face for the name... (attachments)
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, You have the right attitude. I am an ancient newbie been playing eight months.

My origins are from the NE. In my day the jazz scene was mostly trad. and bepop,west coast music was for the eccentric few.

This was partly due to a musicians union ban on visiting American bands plus the general public had not been really exposed to it..

You mentioned Tommy Moran, was he a local man? For some reason that name means something to me.

Good luck you are going to enjoy it here. Regards N.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom