PPT mouthpieces

Ravi Shankar.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Sad but think of his success. Introduced Indian classical music to the West, inspired the Pretty Things and Norma Jones.

A pretty good legacy.

yep, and don't foget his influnece on the Beatles amongst others..

Kev,
I know it is early but The Pretty Things were using a sitar before Harrison. As such the Pretty Things influenced the Beatles.

Better get my copy of 'Shankar Family and Friends' on the turntable this morning. RIP Ravi

Sad loss back in the fifties. I became quite intrigued with Indian classical, the sitar always had a haunting quality which triggered off (for me at least.)the mysticism associated with the so-called psychedelic revolution. Mr Shankar`s association with some gf the jazz greats , Coltrane was given an insight into Indian classical by the Maestro and it influenced his later performances. I remember hearing Cotrane`s playing of `My Favorite Things.) (U.S. spelling.) and to me it had a trance like quality about it. Farewell Sir Ravi another spiritual journey has started. Regds. N.

Sachal Studios (Brilliant line up of Pakistani classical and traditional musicians.) recording of `Take Five` (Utube). is well worth having a listen too and shows the fusion of the ancient and modern N.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the legend lives on in the shape of his daughter, Norah Jones, even though they seem not to have enjoyed a close relationship. Obviously there is something in genetic theory, though.

Dave

Will do. I must listen to the CD I have of her music. I think I might have bought it because she is so beautiful. I truly judged a CD by its cover.

Anoushka Shankar, another daughter is a sitar phenom too. Plsyed under her father for a long time and learned it right.

i have her traveller cd. She does some stuff with flamenco players on this one.

Ravi was a wonderful human and a great musician.

daughter, not granddaughter. Mother was Sue Jones, Ravi's common law wife at the time.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I always thought daughter but the TV news said GD yesterday so I naturally assumed that I got it wrong.... Whoops

Funnily enough world radio said GD but I think that was wrongly assumed due to his age Regds. N Very unlike BBC not to check facts.

Quite right M must speak to Marmaduke Hussey if he is still around, Regds I remember the British Home Service. N.

Things have never been the same since they stopped using names for stations and started using numbers....

I don't mind thread drift, but in a memorial thread to a great musician, it's a little naff.