All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Rant about a famous London shop. How to stop fuming?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I try to make it short:
In April I take two yamaha mouthpieces on approval for my students in a very famous woodwind shop (name and shame later, if you really don't get it).
Ten days later I return one of the pieces and pay for the other.
At this point, clearly, the approval form is not deleted from their computer. An error, it may happen.

Yesterday I receive a receipt for both pieces, and I have been charged the full amount on the card.

Now, they know my name, I am a regular customer, I often take things on approval, they are usually quite nice.
Why couldn't they make a phone call before charging me? There is my number on the approval form.

I sent an email yesterday night, attaching relevant receipt (I always keep them). No reply yet.
I was expecting them to travel back in time to rectify the error, but not reply to my email.

When will I stop fuming?
What is a proper British approach to the issue? The continental way would involve a phone call, high blood pressure and keen search for humiliating adjectives.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Update: reply received, apologies accepted, refund on the way.

I am relieved now: they are still a very professional shop.
Maybe I should buy that metal link they have on sale....

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Mistakes are easily made, sometimes just a little patience is needed;}

Jx

BigMartin

Good thing, because the proper British approach would have been to grumble about it to your friends and resent it for the rest of your life, while saying nothing to the shop owner and probably still shopping there because nowhere else is convenient.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Good thing, because the proper British approach would have been to grumble about it to your friends and resent it for the rest of your life, while saying nothing to the shop owner and probably still shopping there because nowhere else is convenient.
This post is a masterpiece!
I love this forum also because gives me an enlightening insight of the country is hosting me, and I have to thank you all for sharing with me your witty knowledge.

jonf

_
Good thing, because the proper British approach would have been to grumble about it to your friends and resent it for the rest of your life, while saying nothing to the shop owner and probably still shopping there because nowhere else is
convenient.
Amusing, but not true, at least in my world. The proper British way is to set out clearly and unemotionally the facts and send to the other party. That way you give them the chance to sort it out in such a way that you can continue to do business with them if you want to. Also makes it easier to back down if it turns out you're the one at fault. I find this approach works every time

Jon

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
_

Amusing, but not true, at least in my world. The proper British way is to set out clearly and unemotionally the facts and send to the other party. That way you give them the chance to sort it out in such a way that you can continue to do business with them if you want to. Also makes it easier to back down if it turns out you're the one at fault. I find this approach works every time

Jon
True, but there are far too many who do it the way Big Martin described. (Note I didn't say Big Martin's way >:) )

breathless

I don't think enough people complain when they receive poor customer service (not saying this is the case), the result is shops and services believe due to the absence of complaint they must be doing everything correct.

Last night for example I take my family (my wife, myself and my two children 1x4 yr old daughter and 1x 7 yr old son) to Frankel and benies at Braintree for dinner, everything went well until my 2 children get there CHILDREN'S deserts, (chocolate brownie in ice cream).
My daughter (4years old) takes a bite and let's out a blood coudling scream that only a parent u derstands! After some consoling my wife sticks her finger in the brownie only to remove it promptly complaining how hot it is.
My wife explains to the waitress and the manager promptly comes over.
Unfortunately his manor lacked understanding, he was smiling at me while explaining they don't heat them up to much.
I expressed that it might be a good idea that considering it's a children's desert it might be an idea to check how hot these dishes are served! His response, "yes we will do that".

Good service is an extremely rare thing these days. Having served as a customer forward facing engineer for 20+ years I understand the importance of excellent customer service and even more good quality service.

It can take years to build up a positive reputation but destroyed in minutes!

I will never visit a Frankie and bennies again! "simples"!

Rgds Lee.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
It can take years to build up a positive reputation but destroyed in minutes!
Exactly! When you have as a competitor THE INTERNET, customer service is the only thing that makes a difference.
That is why HMV, the last big record shop on the high street will disappear: its management would be happy to have automatic tills, its customers wouldn't.

But the famous london woodwind shop has been remarkable in its dealing of my issue: this morning I wanted to change my students' options, this evening I am a proud customer.

I must say they have been consistently good trough the years.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
But the famous london woodwind shop has been remarkable in its dealing of my issue: this morning I wanted to change my students' options, this evening I am a proud customer.

I must say they have been consistently good trough the years.
A grest example to show how a supplier deals with a customer complaint can say as much, if not more about them as it's normal service does. Any supplier that is customer focused should see a complaint as an opportunity and if it deals with it correctly can forge stronger relationships with it's customer for the long term. After all if you know a complaint will be satisfactorily dealt with you are more likely to use them again.

Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
A grest example to show how a supplier deals with a customer complaint can say as much, if not more about them as it's normal service does. Any supplier that is customer focused should see a complaint as an opportunity and if it deals with it correctly can forge stronger relationships with it's customer for the long term. After all if you know a complaint will be satisfactorily dealt with you are more likely to use them again.

Jx
I believe that suppliers who have a small number of problems that are well handled are preferred to suppliers who just get it right all the time and there are never any comebacks.

I see it at work too. The guys who're good at firefighting and fixing problems (even though they've created them themselves by poor design/maintenance) are well thought of by management, but the guys who get it right, never have problems are just taken for granted and fade into obscurity as part of the furniture. Being able to gloss or blame others/circumstances over real cause helps a lot.

Jazzaferri

Kev .... Whats up mate ... Have you forgotten the maxim ....no good deed goes unpunished

jbtsax

Subscriber
Kev .... Whats up mate ... Have you forgotten the maxim ....no good deed goes unpunished
Amen to that. I once had a flute player bring in her open hole flute for a play condition which means to insure all pads are seating, the regulation is set, and there is no lost motion in the keys. Any missing corks or felts are also replaced and springs adjusted where necessary. This service for an open hole flute was $50 U.S. Because she was a college student and it was a rather nice flute, I went the extra mile to hand polish the key surfaces, and most of the body and headjoint which ordinarily would have cost an extra $45. I also re-fit the headjoint which was way too loose.

A week after she got it home and played it she brought it back to the shop complaining that a few spots weren't polished enough. and that the headjoint (which was perfect) was too hard to put in and take out. She wouldn't accept the fact that the polishing was never part of the original service, and that a well fit headjoint had to be inserted slowly and carefully. I ended up shrinking her headjoint back to where it was too loose again and sent her on her way.

Having been on both sides of the counter in a music store, I have more empathy for employees who occasionally make mistakes. After all we are all human. It is how they deal with them that makes all the difference. The attitude of the customer also makes a big difference in how they are treated by service people. In most cases where there is a problem it can be traced back to poor communication at the time of the service or sale in my experience.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Al, old chap. Sit down and have a glass of your favourite tipple.

Damn! Don't drink. BBC World Service ran a programme this morning stating that one of the products of alcohol damages the DNA in cells it contacts.

Guess you'll just have to kick the bucket in gloom, despondency and lack of faith in Homo Sapiens.

Alc.

Too late. The alcohol doesn't have a chance; my DNA has built up immunity over the decades. And if I am gloomy and despondent, I think I like it! Complaining about the human condition keeps my blood pressure just about level. And the disappointment in the admin of Ebay is now simmering into a healthy loathing. However, one must tolerate certain fools in order to sample the tasty old Bueschers, etc. that can be found on the site.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Too late. The alcohol doesn't have a chance; my DNA has built up immunity over the decades. And if I am gloomy and despondent, I think I like it! Complaining about the human condition keeps my blood pressure just about level. And the disappointment in the admin of Ebay is now simmering into a healthy loathing. However, one must tolerate certain fools in order to sample the tasty old Bueschers, etc. that can be found on the site.
Absolutely agree with all that you have said about eBay. They are juxtaposed with poodle's plop.

David Roach

Subscriber

I am relieved now: they are still a very professional shop.
Maybe I should buy that metal link they have on sale....
Of course they are! (Don't buy that Link, you KNOW it'll be rubbish!!)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Just a note, the OP is from 2012.
I bought that Link, Bill Wrathall adjusted it and it is a nice little object in my drawer (small facing for me, but great sound)

Colin the Bear

Nearly two years to respond to a post.....man that was some bender

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom