support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rampone & Cazzani Saxophones

Der Wikinger

Account Closed
I spoke with the guy from http://tenormadness.com. He says that these saxes are ok as horns, but are very hard to sell because there is no name recognition, and for the same reason the resale value is nil. As I am considering purchasing a R1 Jazz Tenor, that is of particular concern to me. Pete Thomas has been a hero of mine for a while. That's why I am going here to perhaps receive some advice.
Thanx.

ADMIN EDIT: email address removed as requested. You can use the private message system.

That would be a concern if you are buying it as an investment or with the intention of selling it or trading it, in a few years time.

If you are thinking of buying it to play and as a long term keeper, then this concern becomes pretty irrelevant. Except if you were thinking of buying second hand, in which case depreciation would be a good thing for you.

Whatever you do, make sure you play the actual horn and get the opinion of someone you trust, such as a teacher or a pro player: don't buy on what it looks like, or what such-and-such a person on SOTW says about it, or what a dealer tells you.

I've got a R&C saxello-style soprano in gold plate and it's nice, with very good intonation, good ergonomics but a slightly "soggy" action.

Rhys

Thanx!

That would be a concern if you are buying it as an investment or with the intention of selling it or trading it, in a few years time.

If you are thinking of buying it to play and as a long term keeper, then this concern becomes pretty irrelevant. Except if you were thinking of buying second hand, in which case depreciation would be a good thing for you.

Whatever you do, make sure you play the actual horn and get the opinion of someone you trust, such as a teacher or a pro player: don't buy on what it looks like, or what such-and-such a person on SOTW says about it, or what a dealer tells you.

I've got a R&C saxello-style soprano in gold plate and it's nice, with very good intonation, good ergonomics but a slightly "soggy" action.

Rhys

I have read a lot of good things about R&C horns. It's a long ways to Saxforte, the dealer that sells in the US (844 MI), but its true I won't purchase what I have not played, and will take my mentor with me. Any sources for used R&C horns?

I spoke with the guy from http://tenormadness.com. He says that these saxes are ok as horns, but are very hard to sell because there is no name recognition, and for the same reason the resale value is nil.

I wouldn't say "nil", but maybe the market for these is limited. But those of that have played them know how great they are.

I'd say they are better than "ok" as horns,

BTW, you might want to remove your email address from the post, the spam harvesters can easily pick it up form there.

And welcome to Cafesaxophone!

Their sopranos are gorgeous- really top class pieces of kit. their tenors are very wide bore- a bit like old Conn 10M saxes, for a certain type of player- big tone, large airflow- they really spring into life.... not for everyone but I've heard folks make 'em sound great....

I've played a few in shops and I have to say that the hand-made approach is very attractive to me. They look and feel great. No doubt that they are a professional instrument and as they are hand-made they are pitched at the right price range - it follows that they will have a niche following and that resale will be harder - but it will just take a little longer - it shouldn't affect the price as they are a respected brand.
For me, as much as I admire them, with my setup I didn't feel that they were as 'open', or resonant as other horns in the same price range. But that is just my opinion and another player with a different setup would get a different sound and have a totally different opinion. I'm currently mostly playing soul and clearly a jazz sound would be quite different. I have heard others players play them and they sound great.
Steve

R&C is well known in Italy and recently becoming better known in the UK, maybe by the time you resell they'll be better known in the States as well...

BTW I have a 10 yr old R&C soprano to sell - just in case anyone looking at this thread is interested PM me