All profit supporting   special needs music

R.I.P. Phil Woods

Sue

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
Just read that the legend Phil Woods passed away today. One of the finest alto players and a sad loss. RIP
One of my favourite tunes

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
Not another one. Sad news.

BigMartin

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Really sad. Very high on my list of favourites. Nice that he was able to keep playing until so near the end, though.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
So sad.
RIP

jbtsax

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Phil was not only a great player but a composer, arranger, band leader, and educator as well. His column in the Saxophone Journal "Reflections in Eb" was one of my favorite parts of that magazine as a window into jazz history. Hopefully more of the jazz greats will get their stories in writing before they pass as well.

jazzdoh

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Very sad,one of the great alto legends,RIP ,he will be greatly missed.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
RIP...........Phil Woods..............pictured here with Quincy Jones..........................

Quincy

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
RIP Phil, very sad loss

Jx

Sue

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
From Sonny Rollins' Facebook page

Saxlicker

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
This week has put a massive dent in my happiness.
RIP Phil.
The big band in the sky will be stomping.

• Agree
Reactions: Sue
ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
David Liebman
23 hrs ·

PASSINGS: PHIL WOODS
This is a special one because my family has been living in Phil’s corner of the Poconos for 30 years and though we were not buddy/buddy, we had interaction. He passed like he lived….completely on his own terms. Lucid and clear the day prior, we reminisced about Cleanhead Vinson, Johnny Hodges, etc., with his usual special brand of jazz humor right till the end, making a brave decision to call the whole thing off.
I can tell you a few things about Phil:
hen you played next to him you couldn’t hear yourself. That’s what comes with years of playing and insisting on acoustic when plausible.
-His solo on Billy Joel’s hit tune is probably the most famous “jazz” tinged solo in pop-music history, proving that bebop can prevail anywhere, anytime.
-When you say “lead alto” in a big band setting, there is only one; he set the mold with his sound and phrasing.
-He, along with Cannonball and a few others took Bird to a logical extension, paving the way for Trane to go further.
-Married and had a family with Bird’s wife; followed by the fantastic lady Jill Goodwin.
-His sense of humor and prose writing abilities were special, always with great insight, and a healthy dose of sarcasm pertaining to the state of the world and life in general, peppered with keen insights into the people he dealt with. Basically Phil couldn’t and wouldn’t abide by any bull****…calling it like it is and was.
-Along with a few other local heroes they started an ongoing jazz festival, a summer camp, and involvement with local high schools out here in our hood.
-Phil was the epitome of a jazz warrior; ON THE ROAD when it was his time.
-The masetro could play clarinet, good piano, and write for any combination.
-His summer workshop in the early ‘60s near New Hope, PA was a forerunner of what I for one do every summer.
PHIL DID HIS JOB..he brought light, sanity and wisdom to us all. RIP!!