All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones R&C Straight alto

TomMapfumo

What a crazy video........ I thought that straight saxes were the preserve of L.A. saxes and their Alto and Tenor pieces.

Well spotted KevvyG......;}

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
we had an R&C straight alto in the shopa couple of years ago... very nice piece of kit, I seem to remember

milandro

we had an R&C straight alto in the shopa couple of years ago... very nice piece of kit, I seem to remember
Well, that would be very strange since they only ever made their first altello in 2010 and presented it for the first time to the Frankfurter messe . I think you might have had another brand but not a R&C.
There are many straight altos and few less straight tenors around.

Among the altos there was the Keilwerth as Rhys has, no longer in production, and the Wisemann (which is a Chinese horn closely resembling the Keilwerth)

milandro

baffling, must have been a prototype!

I know personally Claudio Zolla and he told me that the instrument was presented to the public in 2010 and I was there at the presentation!

Last edited by a moderator:

milandro

How much would you like to bet on that?
I know that Claudio sells prototypes to some good clients who go to see him and sax.co.uk is one of his best clients and has priority on " normal" people (as you had to experience yourself). So for example the first solid silver alto and soprano were sold to a distributor before they were shown for the first time in Frankfurt but I didn't think this would have happened with a project that ad stayed a " secret" for a while (as for the curved and semicurved sopranino or the future bass and contrabass) which was the case with the altello.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I was talking about the altello they had at Frankfurt in 2009, it certainly wasn't a secret then.

jonf

There's also a Trevor James straight alto, I think you've still got one in the shop, Jules? Tell Phill that if he gets fed up tripping over it I'll give him a couple of hundred quid for it.....

old git

Tremendous Bore
Cannot see the point of straight altos. Most alto players are obviously related to Hobbits and would need to stand on a chair to play them.

Oh dear, have I said something wrong?

milandro

straight Altos, Tenors and Baritones are great for their " showmanship" factor and to send music towards mother earth

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom