All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Quick Tip: Pull Up Your Neck Strap (w/ illustrative sound clips)

What's a supported tone?
I believe there are many different symptoms of an unsupported tone, such as wavering, unstable pitch, etc. The low neck strap seems to give a general flatness to the tone that I would also call unsupported. Sorry if it seemed unclear what I meant.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Ah, ok.

If only the fix was that easy for some of my students...

Of course, going too far in the other direction ain't good either. Just look at David Sanborn.

<edit> Sorry forgot:
In yesteryear we have heard unsupported yet lyrical tones from many excellent saxophone players
Who?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clivey

You have to spare a thought for us Ol Conn players. I already have the thing trying to simultaneously smash my teeth and poke me in the eye but I also have to worry about the neck being slung low hence resulting in embouchure deficiency.:shocked:

Ah, ok.

If only the fix was that easy for some of my students...

Of course, going too far in the other direction ain't good either. Just look at David Sanborn.

<edit> Sorry forgot:

Who?
I was thinking particulary of a recording of confirmation by Gene Ammons where it sounds like he could use some more support. I've heard other (mainly tenor) players who have similar symptoms. Since I couldn't think of enough specific examples I changed the article.

You have to spare a thought for us Ol Conn players. I already have the thing trying to simultaneously smash my teeth and poke me in the eye but I also have to worry about the neck being slung low hence resulting in embouchure deficiency.:shocked:
Conn players really have it rough!!

littleplum

why

Ok obviously I am going to regret this question, but why do Conn players have it rough? (I play a 1926 Conn Alto)

Dave

Fraser Jarvis

Ok obviously I am going to regret this question, but why do Conn players have it rough? (I play a 1926 Conn Alto)

Dave
I think he's refering to the tenors, the 10m in perticular, which is absolutely fine whilst playing sitting down, but standing up the strap ring is possitioned to high giving the neck (which again is positioned at a lower angle than a modern sax) and mouthpiece the tendency to swing back and smack you in the chops!!! aka the dreaded conn cobra!!!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom