Tutorials

Saxophones Question about Timis sax

CrystalLa

I recently acquired a Timis Superior alto saxophone. I'm having a hard time getting information about it. Specifically, I want to know if it's worth fixing. The body is decent but the pads all need to be replaced as well as some springs. Not sure what to do with it at this point.

DavidUK

I recently acquired a Timis Superior alto saxophone. I'm having a hard time getting information about it. Specifically, I want to know if it's worth fixing. The body is decent but the pads all need to be replaced as well as some springs. Not sure what to do with it at this point.

Some info here: Timmy's Sax

Looking at photos, I'd say unless it has emotional attachment, or you plan to replace the pads etc yourself at minimal cost, it wouldn't be worth restoring.

CrystalLa

Are you referring to general photos online? B/c I haven't posted any myself. Just curious why you don't think it's worth restoring?

DavidUK

I you have it re-padded you're into £3-400. If it's from the Arta Guban stable it's unlikely to be good to play. Images online show no front F, no alt F, no high F#. Looks to be from the 20's/30's, possibly high pitch.
So, as DIY test bed it's worth throwing a cheap set of pads at it perhaps. Otherwise, with not much research material, make it into a lamp?

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Are you referring to general photos online? B/c I haven't posted any myself. Just curious why you don't think it's worth restoring?

I you have it re-padded you're into £3-400. If it's from the Arta Guban stable it's unlikely to be good to play. Images online show no front F, no alt F, no high F#. Looks to be from the 20's/30's, possibly high pitch.
So, as DIY test bed it's worth throwing a cheap set of pads at it perhaps. Otherwise, with not much research material, make it into a lamp?

Interesting. Thanks for the info...it helps in making a decision. Could be more trouble than it's worth.
I wouldn't quite jump to THAT conclusion yet.

First off....the links provided still do NOT give us a photo of YOUR actual sax model. So...saying "images online show...." doesn't really tell us anything. If I didn't miss something, the links don't show a very good image of anything...one thread has tiny useless montage photos, and the auction site inks are dead....

The
high F# is a arguably a sorta pointless key, so the presence or absence of one means very little.....and as we know...manufacturers produced some horns with Front F's and some without back in the day.
Also FWIW, adding a front F to an Alto is an easy proposition for most techs, if the player insists on having one (a stock part - Yamaha 23-style see-saw one piece front F key and saddle - is an east transplant on most horns).

And as we know ;) Arta horns have an undeserved online reputation (which is to say - folks were dead wrong):

Saxophones - Arta Guban tenor (see post #15 and beyond)

Sooooooo.....IMHO the advice offered here is premature. Don't discount the horn yet. I have now serviced a few out of Timosoara, and they aren't bad at all....

....can you please @CrystalLa...post a photo of your Timis ? Also, where are you located ?

Last edited:

DavidUK

I half-bow to George's greater knowledge, BUT the cost of paying someone to overhaul it would buy you a mint Yamaha.

Depends what you want... an old rare curiosity (nothing wrong with that, I do it quite often) or something you can play easily which sounds better that this one? Which is it?

CrystalLa

16025313331442100642328.jpg
16025314137371091522629.jpg

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
OK, so not quite anachronistic. Odd that it is a same-side bellkey horn but has no Front F. I also see the missing F# David was referring to was the alt F# (sorry bout my misunderstanding there, mate). So, those two aspects are strange

If you were in US, I would refurb it for you for $300, but Canada makes that proposition undoable due to shipping cost adding another $150+.

So...yes, the cost of the servicing would likely exceed the value of the sax. It'd probably be a decent player once brought up to speed...but it wouldn't have much market value even in full playing shape.
So if you proceeded with servicing, it would be simply a labor (and investment) out of love for a quirky, somewhat unusual saxophone.

I am guessing the spring under the palmkey is a DIY fix for a broken flat spring there.

CrystalLa

OK, so not quite anachronistic. Odd that it is a same-side bellkey horn but has no Front F. I also see the missing F# David was referring to was the alt F# (sorry bout my misunderstanding there, mate). So, those two aspects are strange

If you were in US, I would refurb it for you for $300, but Canada makes that proposition undoable due to shipping cost adding another $150+.

So...yes, the cost of the servicing would likely exceed the value of the sax. It'd probably be a decent player once brought up to speed...but it wouldn't have much market value even in full playing shape.
So if you proceeded with servicing, it would be simply a labor (and investment) out of love for a quirky, somewhat unusual saxophone.

I am guessing the spring under the palmkey is a DIY fix for a broken flat spring there.

Thank you for all the good info. You've been most helpful. I have someone who expressed interest in buying it but I don't want to sell him a lemon. Sounds like perhaps it may not be a good investment for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Thank you for all the good info. You've been most helpful. I have someone who expressed interest in buying it but I don't want to sell him a lemon. Sounds like perhaps it may not be a good investment for him.
Well, yes/no - let me clarify - it isn't a "lemon" as far as it'd be a crappy sax. If it were properly serviced and set up, it'd be a decent player, most likely. It will sound really sweet.

The absence of the front F these days is considered a drawback to most players, but then again many 1920's-30's saxes didn't have the Front F. It is NOT like it prevents one from playing the note, there is another fingering one uses.

It is just that, if you sold it, you should note to them the likelihood that repair costs will exceed the value of the instrument....and the absence of the front F key means the player doesn't have that second fingering available.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
There IS something to be said for the fact that it IS in good physical condition, or so it appears.

Too bad, if the owner were in the US, I would actually be willing to offer a "heartstings" special refurb price on this one. A front F can be added pretty easily.

Given its condition and origin, it'd be too bad just to dismiss it or molest it by drilling holes for a hanging wire.....

CrystalLa

I appreciate this feedback. The body is in good condition and it is a neat piece of history. I can see that you know your stuff. It is too bad that we're not in US. You sound like the type of technician that this instrument needs.

Staff online

Top Bottom