support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Purchasing preferences: Paypal, Card or other

Payment preferences for store item and account upgrades.

• I would not buy unless Paypal is an option

• I prefer to use Paypal account when possible

• I would not buy if Paypal was the only option

• I prefer to just use a card (via secure gateway)

• I prefer other methods (Crypto/Venmo etc) please mention in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use Paypal purely for my convenience, however would be happy to go with whatever is the least expensive option fotr the cafe. Would Apple pay or Amazon pay be options for you or are they too much of a clat/rip off?

I'm an either or person.

If I trust the site, I'll use my card... If I'm a bit suspicious (not that I am of the Cafe) PayPal, if I've left my wallet in another room, and PayPal is an option I'll use it.

As Jambsspii said, if I am buying in a foreign currency will use PayPal as it concerts to GBP, my bank charges for foreign payments.

For my business it's either BACS, or card, as it makes my bank reconciliation easier.

My understanding is that PayPal doesn't always require a user to login or register and you can pay by card using PayPal too.

As Jambsspii said, if I am buying in a foreign currency will use PayPal as it concerts to GBP, my bank charges for foreign payments.
My understanding is there are two different things. With online transactions it's different to actually using your card in a foreign country where a bank adds a charge. For online transactions (at least with Stripe) my understanding is there is no additional fee associated.

I will need to check but I'm sure if there was I would have had loads of complaints from my lovely international customers.

I understand the perceived advantage with Paypal's buyer protection policies. But from the seller's POV this can be very disadvantageous.

Case study:
  • Customer bought TamingTheSaxophone Vol2 but put an incorrect postcode on the shopping Cart/checkout.
  • Did not contact me after it didn't arrive but started a dispute with Paypal
  • Paypal froze the funds and put a restriction on my account in spite of showing them proof that the customer had given a wrong (non-existent) postcode

I eventually got the money. But had a permanent record on my PayPal account as if I was the one in the wrong. I believe these "black marks" can build up until you are booted off. I have two now, both of which are the fault of the customer :(

My understanding is there are two different things. With online transactions it's different to actually using your card in a foreign country where a bank adds a charge. For online transactions (at least with Stripe) my understanding is there is no additional fee associated.

I will need to check but I'm sure if there was I would have had loads of complaints from my lovely international customers.
I think the fee's with stripe are more on the buyers side with their bank than yours, although foreign cards may incur additional fees.

Your case study is exactly why I don't accept PayPal for my business, their terms seem to override anything we have.

Well no, if you were thinking you wouldn't buy (or renew - thank you!) you subscription if we didn't have Paypal, it would have an effect on decisions I make regarding whether or not to discontinue Paypal.
I would not renew but that's not to say that others wouldn't. If you offered Google pay or something like that I would consider it.

I've been fighting identity theft issues for a couple of years now (really bad identity theft issues like police involved issues).

That conflicts with the fact I am paying fees and that buyers are not.
Yes you will pay merchant fees, but if the buyer is overseas they may also get charged for a foreign currency transaction (their problem not yours) I'll take a look at my stripe account and see if there's any additional international fees.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs -

This Stripe link may be helpful re international currency payments

Fee's from Stripes page here
2.5% + 20p for European Economic Area cards + 2% if currency conversion is required
3.25% + 20p
for international cards + 2% if currency conversion is required

Taking card payments from abroad is going to cost you more, but it depends what Paypal's fee's are, and how many and the value of foreign transactions.

Thanks though, I didn't realise I could set up a payment link in Stripe, you've saved me having to set up duplicate invoices in another provider!

Last edited:
but if the buyer is overseas they may also get charged for a foreign currency transaction (their problem not yours)

From Stripe support:

HI there,

Thanks for waiting patiently for our response.

Upon checking, all Stripe fees (including conversion fees are deducted from you as the user when accepting international payment and not on the customer’s end in general.

Back
Top Bottom