All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Puppy chewed my mouthpiece!

Lloyd

Seriously, it did. My daughter has taken on a black labrador as a volunteer puppy walker for the Guide Dogs for the Blind and the little b****r has (just) chewed my Otto Link Tone Edge 6*, which I was very happy with. The wife thought that it was hilarious until I pointed out the cost of these things. On the bright side, it gives me a perfect excuse to upgrade. Any suggestions? I'm using a Legere Signature 2.25 synthetic.
I forgot to mention. It's a tenor.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Admirable job she's doing. I have a blind friend and her dog(s) have been fantastic. One might ask how the dog got to your mouthpiece.....

Try a PPT, great piece and the profits go to charity.

thomsax

"Puppy Chewed My Mouthpiece". What a good name for a song!! Bari man Doug James (Roomful Of Blues, Duke Robillard, Sax Gordon) wrote and recorded a song called "Dog Ate My Reed". Dogs like saxophones. My daughters bull terrier tried to chew on the bell on my old Martin!!

jonf

No, you can't.... take a look at the picture, I'd forgive the little myte if he ate my lottery ticket!

Oh, yes I could. If it chewed my mouthpiece it'd be both barrels.

(Look, I'm only joking, OK?)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
This is a future guide dog that we're talking about.... Guys take them into their homes to get the nonsense out of the dogs in a safe, understanding environment.

PaulyT

So what your saying is you can't practice! I had exactly the same problem with my homework - honest - it really did and I'd done a great project - took me all night, honest :)

Lloyd

Try a PPT, great piece and the profits go to charity.

I could be tempted but I don't really want to lay out £165 on something that might not suit me. Plus I can't really afford to wait 3 weeks or so as I have a gig on Wednesday. I've just played on my old Yamaha plastic for an hour or so - it was 'orrible. Looks like a trip to John Myatt's on Tuesday.

jadoube

sorry_puppy1.jpg He says sorry

old git

Tremendous Bore
You all seemed to have missed the point, you are probably depriving the first canine Getz of its only chance to enjoy life and entertain us.

Bet it's better than me already.

TomMapfumo

A Rico Graftonite B5 would be a sound investment at £14.70 a throw from www.rapidreeds.com and would have the advantage that the dog is likely to lose teeth if he tried to chew it - indestructable. They are seriously good and I have used them on both Sop and Alto and Kev has one on Tenor, but also has a PPT.

It would allow you to at the very least take your time finding an alternative if necessary.
Good luck whatever.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

johnboy

Yep I second that all the way!
I have a Graftonite B5 on tenor, it does the business (I also have a PPT 8*, Pete got it to me in three days!). I have been trying to upload two tracks to the "sound clips" forum (playing on a B5). It will probably take me another couple of weeks to find out how to use "Dropbox". - Der!
Anyway, I don't think you can go far wrong with the Rico (in the picky I'm using my Berg 120).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lloyd

I've got a B5 alto and hated it. No, it's a great excuse to spend a couple of hours choosing a new mouthpiece. Dave, you must have several hundred in your drawer. How about releasing some gas?

Lloyd

It just goes to show, "Try before you buy"

What was it you "Hated" about them guys?

Well, it was cheap and everyone was raving about them. The B5 was hard to blow, like blowing through a straw and very shrill with no finesse at all. I tried several reeds of different strengths and make and just couldn't get on with it. I bought a Meyer and haven't looked back. No comparison.

TomMapfumo

I admit to being flabbergasted that you could hate the Rico B5 - my main horn is alto, and the B5 hold its own very well with my V16 7m, V16 9m, Ponzol Vintage HR .070 & .085. I play french cut reeds and it sounds very good indeed........

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

johnboy

I put a piece a piece on "sound clips" today to try and show a B5 can be smooth and easy, I don't think you could say I'm having trouble blowing it. In fact it's a piece of cake!
One mistake I did make, was cutting it straight into the solo, instead of having a vocal leed in so that the feel was there. I did this to get the very nice guitar solo in.
Tomorrow It' the turn of "Walk on Wild Side" completely different, but again easy blowing.
These tracks are from a jam session

Top Bottom