All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Pub Gig

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
For people stuck in South London due to today's marathon and for jazz conoisseurs,
I have a pub gig at 2pm in Camberwell with Dave Hammer's Little Big Horns.

The Joiners Arms
35, Denmark Hill SE5 8
Free entry

And maybe I will pop in the Buckhurst Hill Jam Session, later in the evening.
Buckhurst Hill Sports and Social Club, 50 Queens Road, Buckhurst Hill, Essex IG9 5BY

Let's support live music.

First public appearance today of my new Sequoia tenor.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
How did it go with the Sequoia Al? Any teething problems.
Let us know more

Andy
Ultimate honeymoon!

We were playing some arrangement by Bob Hammer (Mingus Mingus Mingus...) and some Marty Paich.
Quite demanding stuff.
I tried two mouthpieces, both with the copper neck.
Lebayle was fine, but kind of not projecting too much (whatever it means), at some point I put on the NYT I normally use on my MkVI: huge!
The instrument has a very relaxing tuning (with both mouthpieces), but its best characteristic is the dynamic range. Effortlessly from ppp to fff.
The fff was a bit uncertain with the Lebayle, but with the NYT that horn just filled the room. Such a pleasure to stand up for soloing...

Something strange happened: at one point it sounded like the instrument "woke up". Kind of started resonating more, and hasn't stopped yet. I guess it is just something that happened in my embochure, when finally, unconsciously, I found the way to get the most from the instrument.

Shame my next big band gig is on alto.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ultimate honeymoon!

We were playing some arrangement by Bob Hammer (Mingus Mingus Mingus...) and some Marty Paich.
Quite demanding stuff.
I tried two mouthpieces, both with the copper neck.
Lebayle was fine, but kind of not projecting too much (whatever it means), at some point I put on the NYT I normally use on my MkVI: huge!
The instrument has a very relaxing tuning (with both mouthpieces), but its best characteristic is the dynamic range. Effortlessly from ppp to fff.
The fff was a bit uncertain with the Lebayle, but with the NYT that horn just filled the room. Such a pleasure to stand up for soloing...

Something strange happened: at one point it sounded like the instrument "woke up". Kind of started resonating more, and hasn't stopped yet. I guess it is just something that happened in my embochure, when finally, unconsciously, I found the way to get the most from the instrument.

Shame my next big band gig is on alto.
Great, was it the lemon?

jazzdoh

Congrats Al

Its great when a new horn plays better than expected.
Nice to know the FRUITS of you labour will shine through he he

Looks like you might have to buy the alto version to go with your tenor

Brian

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Thanks Brian!

I didn't write "fruity" sound for obvious reasons.
Before the alto, their wonderful soprano is in the line (mouthwatering, of course).

I actually need a good straight soprano....

Top Bottom