Tutorials

Psst! Wanna join a sax choir?

RedBottom

I hope I can put this here - it didn't seem to fit in the Jam & Gig Guide. Pete, feel free to move/remove if necessary.

Basically, the saxophone choir I'm a member of in south Leicestershire is looking to recruit some new faces. There are currently 11 of us, but we have room to expand to up to 20 or 30. All standards welcome (one member has been playing for a couple of months), all saxes, all ages. There are no auditions and, as you'd expect from a bunch of sax players, there is no snobbery.

Link here.

Thanks
RB

OP
R

RedBottom

And I thought my 40mins was pushing it.;}

We've only been together for a term and currently have the grand total of 5 pieces in our repertoire - a couple of classical arrangements, a jazz arrangement and a Karen Street composition, and there's the obligatory medley of a couple of bars each of a dozen or so well-known tunes (actually The Lone Ar-ranger). I think the plan is to carry on with a similar mix of popular, classical, standards and new arrangements. Nothing so hard as to make people cry in despair, but not ridiculously easy, either.

It's the first time I've played the soprano 'in earnest' so it's a fairly steep learning curve for me as well as being a whole new experience re. instrumentation. I've come to this with 10 years' concert band experience. Others have similar, either on sax or on other instruments, but there are some for whom this is the first ensemble they have ever played in. As long as you can read a bit of music, can string a few notes together and are willing to learn, you're welcome. Of course, if you're a gigging virtuoso, you're also welcome.

But as you say, a nearly two-hour round trip would be a bit much for a two-hour practice. Still, if you're ever in the area ...

dooce

Very tempting and it's only 20-odd minutes away but, being in 2 bands already, if I take on any other sax-related commitments, I'll come home one night to find my wardrobe contents lying around outside a securely locked front door........

littleplum

Lesson with Gerard

Hi Saxnik

If you are serious about a lesson with Gerard, just email him from his website and he does one off advice sessions. He is too busy to take on regular students but will fit in these sessions when he can. I had one just before christmas and it was money well spent.

regards

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

RedBottom

That's probably the best idea, as we never actually see Gerard. I will say hello to Lluis foryou, though.

Top Bottom