SYOS

Progress Report

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Bottom Bb on a saxophone is Bb1 IMO. It's not any kind of official cafe position though.
So what is bottom A on a bari sax?, and what if it is a low Bb bari?
Is A1 on a bari sax the same as A1 on a tenor.
My feeling is that the bell notes should be called A0, Bb0, B0.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
In response to the many questions about musicians working out solos, I try to find new stuff daily within the limits of my knowledge. In the music I want to play, it won't be anything like this stiff, but this is a really good way for me to play what I hear.

Yeah, those sessions, some of which you've heard were never mixed and I don't have multitracks. Had they been digital, the studio might have had them, but alas, 24-track 2" tape is expensive and a mutha to lug and store when you move.

Pete Effamy

It works better, but I think the low notes being named 1 is too widely used.

Pete Effamy

In response to the many questions about musicians working out solos, I try to find new stuff daily within the limits of my knowledge. In the music I want to play, it won't be anything like this stiff, but this is a really good way for me to play what I hear.

Yeah, those sessions, some of which you've heard were never mixed and I don't have multitracks. Had they been digital, the studio might have had them, but alas, 24-track 2" tape is expensive and a mutha to lug and store when you move.
Criminal!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
And that is absolutely fine if it works for you, but I think the main things should be that most people understand what you mean.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
And that is absolutely fine if it works for you, but I think the main things should be that most people understand what you mean.
This is my main concern, bad enough I think in concert pitch, so I already have to transpose in my head when someone says "play a G". If we all agree on 1 as the index, when you say G1 I'll know you're talking about the way I play Bb.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Edit: A little better Feb 16th. If only I could get through the whole tune.

Last edited:

Clivey

Loved the interplay between the 2 registers 2nd half of tune, it gave it a real new yorky feeling for me. Dug the tun too

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Eric Marienthal is the tenor making me sound like a beginner :)

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
It's been a long time since I tried to play a Bb blues all the way through. Tried it today. While not brilliant, it's not bad as I struggled to remember the melody.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Revisiting the hardest high D and E for me. Still sucks.

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom