All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Progress Report

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I already posted two recordings of this in SotM, so I'm posting this here. There has been progress since the first take (Saturday, 4 days ago!), but I still can not get through this to my satisfaction in a single take. I'm working on getting the tempo up to 200 or better, just to see if it's possible.

https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fmiss-jones-yet-again2 View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/miss-jones-yet-again2

And here is the first take I got thru at 200bpm. More than one bad note, but it's almost there. I honestly thought I could never do this at all.

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Playing fast isn't hard.

Thinking fast is!

• Agree
Reactions: Sue

Pete Effamy

If you want to play fast we’ll ....I was told to play very slowly concentrating on feeling the movement of each finger and the tone, intonation and articulation of each note.
My mate said that his clarinet prof - John McCaw - pointed out that your fingers move up and down at the same speed whether playing fast or slow. Think about that one!

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
My mate said that his clarinet prof - John McCaw - pointed out that your fingers move up and down at the same speed whether playing fast or slow. Think about that one!
Counter intuitive on either instrument. If you're playing slow and a bunch of whole notes, they are barely moving. If he meant the speed between notes, that's not really the point. We all know it's harder to play slow than fast (once you can play well). In fact, my initial comment wasn't about fingers, but brain.

Pete Effamy

Counter intuitive on either instrument. If you're playing slow and a bunch of whole notes, they are barely moving. If he meant the speed between notes, that's not really the point. We all know it's harder to play slow than fast (once you can play well). In fact, my initial comment wasn't about fingers, but brain.
So if playing slowly you move your fingers in slow motion?

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Speaking of finger speed, which I was not... How cool is it to do tremolos with a single finger. Example Eb to Gb lifting only one finger for more speed and fluidity?

Pete Effamy

Speaking of finger speed, which I was not... How cool is it to do tremolos with a single finger. Example Eb to Gb lifting only one finger for more speed and fluidity?
Do you mean actual notes on sax, not concert? I wouldn’t use anything other than the proper fingerings.

Pete Effamy

BRAIN! BRAIN! Although one assumes when learning, the fingers need to move slowly to be accurate. :p
I’m talking about the movement of each individual finger. I find the concept that the finger lifts or returns at the same speed whether in a fast or slow passage to be interesting from the point of having a relaxed hand/fingers. It was an interesting realisation. Sometimes stuff like this subconsciously sorts part of your technique out.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Do you mean actual notes on sax, not concert? I wouldn’t use anything other than the proper fingerings.
Great, that gives me yet another edge! F# to A concert on the alto, I lift the index finger and can do it much faster than lifting the two. Blues oblige!
There's another one on the other hand, A to C concert on alto so, F# to A sax. And then the alternate C# (E to G on alto) which is still two fingers on the left hand, but open C# to E would be pretty bad as a fast trem.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
All these reflections about fingers are not uninteresting, it's just not what I actually meant; the thinking part becomes natural after long experience. For me, as I hear things but the brain can't always hit them, it's that part that is a challenge.

Jazzaferri

Thinking consciously about ones fingers slows them down

Tests were done on pianists doing glasses up the keyboard. The very best concert pianists would play the glass at pretty much the sams speed as non pianists who were told not to worry about what notes to play just go as fast as you can

mid level trained pianists however were markedly slower

Pete Effamy

Great, that gives me yet another edge! F# to A concert on the alto, I lift the index finger and can do it much faster than lifting the two. Blues oblige!
There's another one on the other hand, A to C concert on alto so, F# to A sax. And then the alternate C# (E to G on alto) which is still two fingers on the left hand, but open C# to E would be pretty bad as a fast trem.
There are certain “shortcuts “ with fingerings I might use, and there are many more on the clarinet but being a clarinet player first that type of fingering is worked on a lot.

s.mundi

Randulo ---

When I become an old-timer like you, I hope that GXX continues to give me the strength to play.
You sound like an awesome super-hero!! You are an inspiration.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I'd like to start a new post on these tricks, anything to do with "wrong" stuff with keys.
The muted A for example: play an A (LH12) and press RH123 on and off to mess with the sound. It's so common it was a part of Eric Marienthal's course and I also saw it on a Youtube by Better Sax I think.

(edited, I always reverse RH and LH when writing them)

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Thinking consciously about ones fingers slows them down
I don't think about any of it when actually playing, only in working out a line or sound or way to produce it. When playing, let's say Miss Jones, once the ideas are tested and messed with, it's the brain that deals with the mechanics. I'm just a passenger, the brain is the pilot. My job is to look out the window and hopefully be able to describe the beautiful clouds I see

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom