All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Problems with estate agent.

Tommy Ng

Hi

I have a question here and wonder if anyone can help.

I recently appointed an estate agent to let my property but now i decided to withdraw from the agreement. There is a clause in the agreement saying that i need to pay £250+vat withdrawal fee. The problem is, the period over which this agreement is valid is not stated in the agreement. This means if they can't get me a tenant after 10 years and i withdraw, i still need to pay for the withdrawal fee.

My question is, is that agreement a valid agreement at all?

:confused:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Hi

I have a question here and wonder if anyone can help.

I recently appointed an estate agent to let my property but now i decided to withdraw from the agreement. There is a clause in the agreement saying that i need to pay £250+vat withdrawal fee. The problem is, the period over which this agreement is valid is not stated in the agreement. This means if they can't get me a tenant after 10 years and i withdraw, i still need to pay for the withdrawal fee.

My question is, is that agreement a valid agreement at all?

:confused:
Very hard to say without seeing the rest of the agreement (and also just being some bloke on the internet rather than a qualified lawyer) Ideally a lawyer or CAB can help you.

On the face of it it sounds like a very "loose" contract and so possibly worth little in a court of law, but presuming you signed it and it not being 10 years later and them being able to say they spent time and money advertising your flat, they may well win a case against you if they can be bothered over £250.

Best thing might be to be very nice to them and explain you had an emergency crisis which means you can't leave now and have no money. Say that you may be able to let it again in a few months and hopefully we can do business then.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom