support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Problems playing top E and F

Amanda tootin' Taylor

Locality
Tooting, SW London
Hello everyone,

Now I've been so warmly welcomed to the forum, I'm hoping someone can help me please!

I'm having problems with playing top E and F. Occasionally I can, and if I play the scale legato I can play them, but not I can't start on either note. I'm using the palm key fingering.

I've been playing about 6 weeks, so am I being over-ambitious and this is something that just comes with more practice. Although I don't know how much more squawking my neighbours can put up with - I have to try and coincide it with their son's drum practice so they can't complain too much!!

Any tips/suggestions very gratefully received.

:)

Well, it could be that you're over ambitious. Or it could be that you're reed is a little soft, or maybe your mouthpiece isn't right?

I've never had a problem getting "up there" I used to have problems hitting the C, B Bb in the basement.

I have just changed to a no. 3 Rico Royal reed and have found it even easier to hit the top notes. It's definitely more difficult with a softer reed, but as a beginner, it's normal to play a softer reed.

Have a bit of patience. Playing top E and F after 6 weeks is possibly a tad ambitious. It probably won't hurt to keep trying, but be careful you don't start biting hard down on the reed. Play slurred scales up to them, trying to keep your embouchure relaxed and steady.

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your response. I'm using a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece and have just gone up to grade 2 reeds from 1.5.

I guess I'll just have to keep annoying the neighbours!

Four tips ...

Hey Hey Amanda ...

1] Practice is a very important factor ...

2] Developing your embouchure over time is the key ...

3] Balance of reed and mouthpiece to the sax is paramount ...

4] But then - Don't listen to me - I am just a beginner [N00b] ;}

I found the high end to be difficult on the Yamaha 4c that came with my alto even with a 2.5 reed. I bought a Meyer 6M and the high end just popped out with little effort. I also had trouble with the 4c simply closing down on me. I suspect you would have to go to a really hard reed to get it to work well on a 4c because of the narrow tip opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patience, practice and long tones :)

It will come.

Wow, the positive vibes from this forum are amazing!! During my practice this afternoon I managed top E and F almost every time. Thanks guys!

As Andy hints above - just spend money on more sax equipment.........;}
The more you buy the better you get. That's because:

1. You'll be more relaxed.
2. You'll be more motivated/
3. You'll feel guilty if you don't practice enough.

It has certainly worked for Paul I who just has to become a professional player and earn loads of money or else his debts will cripple him for life.
Life's a Gas! :sax: :gathering::gathering::gathering::gathering:

Love
Tom

PS he even dresses up as Fozzy bear when playing the sax at Children's Parties to raise money!

Attempting top E and F after six weeks is definitely too ambitious. Any of the standard teaching books will get you there after you have mastered the middle range satisfactorily.

:)))He! He! I'm definitely holding off buying a new mouthpiece until my OH decides I can keep Sadie (my sax). Otherwise, I'll look a bit daft just playing a mouthpiece with no sax!!

:)))He! He! I'm definitely holding off buying a new mouthpiece until my OH decides I can keep Sadie (my sax). Otherwise, I'll look a bit daft just playing a mouthpiece with no sax!!

Get the mouthpiece. If he does take the sax away, just playing the mouthpiece alone will get him to change his mind!!!

btw, expecting you to get that track so quickly is a bit OTT.

Seriously, if you want to sound like Candy Dulfer your best bet is to get a Rico Royal Graftonite Alto C3 mouthpiece from www.rapidreeds.com for £13.61 -they are edgy sounding and as loud as you want, rather than that Japanese tat you currently play, as Paul would say!

Love
Tom

:sax: :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:;}

As Andy hints above - just spend money on more sax equipment.........;}
The more you buy the better you get. That's because:

1. You'll be more relaxed.
2. You'll be more motivated/
3. You'll feel guilty if you don't practice enough.

It has certainly worked for Paul I who just has to become a professional player and earn loads of money or else his debts will cripple him for life.
Life's a Gas! :sax: :gathering::gathering::gathering::gathering:

Love
Tom

PS he even dresses up as Fozzy bear when playing the sax at Children's Parties to raise money!

:))) :))) :))) The fozzy bear act is certianly attracting attention. However, I don't seem to be seeing this all this money you mention?

Get the mouthpiece. If he does take the sax away, just playing the mouthpiece alone will get him to change his mind!!!

That'll certainly do it :)))

Seriously, if you want to sound like Candy Dulfer your best bet is to get a Rico Royal Graftonite Alto C3 mouthpiece from www.rapidreeds.com for £13.61 -they are edgy sounding and as loud as you want, rather than that Japanese tat you currently play, as Paul would say!

Love
Tom

:w00t: Just because I love my Italian Lady ... :)))

Interesting youre , trying the sax from flute !
How much time do you practice every day?
Takes time to develop embouchure.
6 weeks is not long, Why jump up a reed strength already ?
Were you squarking on the 1.5 reed?
Do you squark straight away or after a while when your embouchure gets tired ?
These answers may be more for your benefit than mine?
Have patience girl
Tell your man to back off on the pressure !

What you could do with the "Lily" song is to play along with it, adding a few phrases now and then. It is in E Major scale on Alto Sax, so you could use the E Major Pentatonic Scale - E F# G# B C# E. His Nibs might be very impressed to hear you writing your own part to the song - very clever, much easier, once you have got the rhythms and beats at your fingertips. I remember finding a pentatonic scale on my Flugelhorn that fitted brilliantly with a Lily Allen song - all sounded very cool, playing along with actual music on an actual commercial CD.

Kind regards
Tom

Love
Tom

Tom, how could you :shocked:

Her man isn't that mean ...

I am sure Tooting's Hubby was saying play Lily in six - was said with a dirty great big smile ... :)

No man could ever take a "Sax called Sadie" away - for any reason ... ;}

PS - If you want the sheet music for Lily was here - it's free download from Candy's website ...

Interesting youre , trying the sax from flute !
How much time do you practice every day?
Takes time to develop embouchure.
6 weeks is not long, Why jump up a reed strength already ?
Were you squarking on the 1.5 reed?
Do you squark straight away or after a while when your embouchure gets tired ?
These answers may be more for your benefit than mine?
Have patience girl
Tell your man to back off on the pressure !

Hiya. The first couple of weeks I only managed about 20-30mins per day as my mouth muscles would get to painful, but I'm now practicing about 60-90 mins per day.

I wasn't squawking too much, but low C and B were sometimes difficult to get as well as the top notes already mentioned! i read that using a harder reed may help, and it appears to. Using the grade 2 reed I managed to play the top register OK yesterday, hitting the notes relatively cleanly. So I guess it's a case of practice, practice, practice!!:)

What you could do with the "Lily" song is to play along with it, adding a few phrases now and then. It is in E Major scale on Alto Sax, so you could use the E Major Pentatonic Scale - E F# G# B C# E. His Nibs might be very impressed to hear you writing your own part to the song - very clever, much easier, once you have got the rhythms and beats at your fingertips. I remember finding a pentatonic scale on my Flugelhorn that fitted brilliantly with a Lily Allen song - all sounded very cool, playing along with actual music on an actual commercial CD.

Hi Tom,

I wish I could! My other major problem is that having learnt the flute fairly rigidly, ie following music and playing mostly classical stuff, I have difficulty with improvising. I'm sure some of the problem, as well as learning scales (boring!) is gaining confidence and not being afraid of sounding even more stupid!! :)