All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Pro tenor survey

Which make of pro tenor do you play (you may select more than one option)?

• Bauhaus Walstein

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Borgani

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Keilwerth

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • P. Mauriat

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Rampone & Cazzani

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Selmer (non-vintage)

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Yanagisawa

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Vintage (all makes)

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

VirusKiller

This is more for interest than anything else. As per the thread title, if you play a professional standard tenor (or tenors), please state the manufacturer(s) in the poll below.

Note that a poll on this forum has a maximum of ten options, so my apologies if your brand falls into the "other" category.

Optionally, you might also want to reply to the thread with the following information:

- Model.
- What you like about it.
- What you don't like about it.

milandro

Although I am not a pro-player and would only qualify as a modest amateur, I do play a pro tenor saxophone

Super 20 Eastlake 1970
I like everything meaningful about it
I am ever so slightly annoyed by certain parts of the mechanism requiring occasional attention namely the tension of the underslung neck spring and the G# (which has a sliding on cork mechanism which one day or other I will have changed for some teflon)

Larn

I play a Selmer MkV11, used to play a series 111 but sold it when I brought the V11.

Mark.

dooce

Cannonball Raven - it works for me and I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about it other than it is a tad heavier than the average tenor.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Mauriat 66R tenor... does everything I want it to and survives everything I throw at it...

Fraser Jarvis

Phil Barone Vintage, much, much better that my 10m, does it all (plus the vintage finish looks cool!)

Saxlicker

I'm not sure which top line horn is my favourite and I do shy away a little from the more recent brands, (Mauriat, BW etc there fore unable to comment on them).
I only shy away because I love the history attached to your classic vintage horns and my pockets aren't deep enough for both.
All that said, I want to put in a BIG BIG shout for my Selmer MKVII tenor.
They don't have a great reputation but I think they are suffering and will continue to suffer from direct comparison to the MKVI which in turn has grown out of context leaving many to understand its a poor horn in general (which it isn't).
Or maybe they are not all as great as mine? :w00t:

Chris98

What are we calling a professional saxophone?

If we are talking video cameras then I can pick out a professional camera easily because of its recording format, it will most likely have interchangeable lenses, XLR sockets, audio level adjustments, etc.

But a professional saxophone! Are we judging on build quality or price or both, or because a professional might use it or because the manufacture labels it as a 'professional' model? It's not so easy and so the term seems nebulous to me in the context.

Just my thoughts. My saxes have plastic touch pieces, are they therefore not professional saxophones?

Best wishes,

Chris

Sunray

One of my girls ...

View attachment 610

Yanagisawa - T9932J

- What you like about it. - Everything - Real nice smooth mechanism - good ergonomics - great sound - it's a quality built Saxophone.

- What you don't like about it. [There are no dislikes - See Above]

Larn

I'm not sure which top line horn is my favourite and I do shy away a little from the more recent brands, (Mauriat, BW etc there fore unable to comment on them).
I only shy away because I love the history attached to your classic vintage horns and my pockets aren't deep enough for both.
All that said, I want to put in a BIG BIG shout for my Selmer MKVII tenor.
They don't have a great reputation but I think they are suffering and will continue to suffer from direct comparison to the MKVI which in turn has grown out of context leaving many to understand its a poor horn in general (which it isn't).
Saxslicker, I didn't put it in my 1st reply but I woundn't swap my MkV11 for anything. Mark.

Saxlicker

because the manufacture labels it as a 'professional' model?
Chris
I guess thats the one (which doesn't mean there aren't great horns that don't carry the label...)

Just my thoughts. My saxes have plastic touch pieces, are they therefore not professional saxophones?
Chris
Plastic is obviously a cheaper option than M.O.P and may be some other choices but that alone doesn't mean anything other than it's what the manufacturer chose to be appropriate in the style and budget for that model.

ManEast

I want to put in a BIG BIG shout for my Selmer MKVII tenor.
Hi T
I would put in a big shout for that MK V11 ! !

Two Voices

Well as most of you know I’ve just traded in my Yamaha YTS-275 Tenor in for a Yanagisawa T901 Tenor. The first thing I noticed about the Yani was just how light it was, compared to other models I’ve played. It’s possibly the lightest on the market!

I find the T901 has great projection and a lively response. The sound could be described as bright, and punchy with a full-bodied tone but I have found it to be a little on the lightweight. I have tried it with the 92 Bronze Tenor Neck (which was loaned to me for a week) and what a difference! It’s much warmer and has that breathy vintage tone. I’m just saving the pennies to have my own 92 neck :D

Taz

Busking Oracle
I don't think my horn could be classed as a pro horn, but,
She goes to some really sleazy joints! :mrcool
She's out after dark a lot! ;}
She's not good looking, but I feel so good when I get hold of her!>:)
She purrs when touched the right way!:blush:
She makes some absolutely filthy noises!:shocked:
And she's getting to the point where I'm throwing loads of cash at her!:eek:

Is that what you meant?

johnboy

In the late '50s I had a Dearman and a Beaucher tenors, both did an excellent job playing "rock".
'64, I bought a new MkV1(£200), Berg Larsen metal m'piece and for two years was in "HEAVEN" playing "James Brown" and loads of blues.
Can you imagine what it was like playing these instruments in London then, the Marque, the Flamingo, Club Norique.
Then my beautiful MkV1 was nicked. I threw my toys out of the pram, and went back to a proper job in Portsmouth Dockyard (sad whatsit!).

I have now bought another '64 MkV1 (I wonder if it's my old one), to go with my Hanson ST6 and Yamaha. It's "BRILLIANT!!!!!"

So my vote goes to my MkV1 (the Hanson, now it's set up right, ain't bad either).

John.

Last edited by a moderator:

singlereed

Mark VI tenor - 1968 so I assume that is vintage. I am a pro in that I get paid to play it in public but we don't really do enough paid gigs to cover our costs...

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Keep going back to a Yamaha Custom Z,my fave 2 horns are Mauriat 66RUL's and Z's.My new Z is wicked.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom