All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Saxophones Price of Emperor Boosey and hawkes tenor

Timorsax

Anyone how much does a sliver emperor boosey and hawkes tenor saxophone worth ? , It's like new in a hard case

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I don't know anything about the value of old saxes. Finding out the year it was made might help. Find the serial number on the sax and look up the year it was made. This link will help.

From what I sometimes read internet, some people buy 'vintage' saxes to play them. Others mainly to 'collect' them.

Mike

OP
T

Timorsax

I don't know anything about the value of old saxes. Finding out the year it was made might help. Find the serial number on the sax and look up the year it was made. This link will help.

From what I sometimes read internet, some people buy 'vintage' saxes to play them. Others mainly to 'collect' them.

Mike
Thank u so much

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
That's a really interesting little source re: Boosey...

....however, it is also quite puzzling to me. The Authors have not indicated anywhere that many (most, I would argue) Boosey & Hawkes instruments were actually stencils....NOT produced in any facility of theirs.
So...it is perplexing, this resource.

I have here in my shop, for sale currently, a Boosey & Hawkes alto which was made by R&C, and it (as one would expect) sports a definite R&C serial # (01XX), which according to this source places the horn at 1857 . (The horn is from the late 70's, this confirmed by Claudio Zolla over at R&C).

Now if one reads it carefully....it never mentions Saxes per se....just flutes and 'woodwinds'....so I am going to assume this resource actually is not referring to saxophone production at all....but likely just flutes, clarinets, etc. There ARE indications that Boosey actually DID produce saxes in-house sometime in the 30's...but those are very rare to come across -and quite 30's-looking - so that endeavor seems to have been short-lived before they started subcontracting to Amati, Kohlert, and a variety of other makers (R&C included).

One needs to be careful when referencing instruments branded w/ a company which did a LOT of subcontracting out.

As Thom notes, that horn clearly appears to be a Bundy II. Therefore the likelihood is the serial # will be akin to the Selmer USA sequence, or whatever sequence Selmer USA used on Bundy II's.

The horn, therefore, is likely to be from around late 70's-late 80's. What is interesting is the finish, honestly ! Never have seen a nickel (or perhaps silver?) Bundy II.

Basically a Bundy II tenor in decent playings shape is worth at most $500usd on this side of the Pond. And THAT would be a very good price to get for one on a private market sale.
I suppose one can make an argument that the finish may make it worth a bit more....but I doubt very greatly the market would 'buy' that argument.

Solid, sturdy student horns. Honestly I would take one of these over 75% of contemporary student model saxes. It is the kind of horn which, when in good shape, is worth more to the owner (to keep and play) than to a buyer, if you get my drift.

Last edited:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Interesting read, good resource on company...at initial skim, very little mention of their saxophone offerings however....other than stating that starting in the 60's they subcontracted all saxes (later than I presumed, actually)....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom