All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Praise Earl Bostic!

TimC

Some of his recordings are a bit too upbeat for me, but this one I like:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Here Here! Splendid player...wasn't he said by someone of note (Dizzy Gillespie..?) to have known more about the sax than anyone else he'd ever known- including Chalrie Parker. Plus- didn't he teach John Coltrane... (and he had Jimi Hendrix in his backing band)? Great technique, one of the best growls ever, lyrical lines and a certain swagger to his playing... what's not to like............

altissimo

From Wikipedia -
"Nobody knew more about the saxophone than Bostic, I mean technically, and that includes Bird." - Art Blakey
Coltrane told Down Beat magazine in 1960 that Bostic "showed me a lot of things on my horn. He has fabulous technical facilities on his instrument and knows many a trick." James Moody mentioned that "Bostic knew his instrument inside out, back to front and upside down."

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
From Wikipedia -
"Nobody knew more about the saxophone than Bostic, I mean technically, and that includes Bird." - Art Blakey
Coltrane told Down Beat magazine in 1960 that Bostic "showed me a lot of things on my horn. He has fabulous technical facilities on his instrument and knows many a trick." James Moody mentioned that "Bostic knew his instrument inside out, back to front and upside down."
Sir- your referencing fill in the gaps in my ramble splendidly- thanks

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom