PPT

M/Pieces - Ligs PPT tenor.

Alc.

Locality
High plains of N/W New Mexico.
I posted about the receipt of a PPT alto mpc on Technical last time, but as Pete answered my question I'm not sure where to post this. I'll try it here and see if I get yelled at. Anyhow, I received my PPT tenor yesterday; this time it took eight days rather than ten, so I'm glad about that.

Again, my other tenor mpcs blew best with 2 1/2 reeds, Vandoren or Rico Royal. I tried those on the PPT and worked my way down to the #1, where I get the easiest response. I did find that I had to remove my hearing aides or I was liable to blow out my eardrums. This mpc is even LOUDER than the alto! When I used the wind necessary to get results from the 2 1/2 reeds I saw several Herefords grazing in the back field turn to look at what the hell caused the ruckus!

Also, when I placed the first reed on the mpc I noticed the reed heel overhung the table by roughly 1/8th of an inch; on the PPT alto it overhangs by about 1/16th. I thought I might have chosen a baritone reed but it was a tenor. On the other mpcs the reed is slightly back from the edge. Of course it doesn't affect the playing; I just thought it interesting.

Now I have another decision to make: I don't know which PPT bari to choose, the 7 or 8? Any suggestions, based on reed-changes I have made?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
D'you know... I particularly like your reminder that Herefords graze in the US, they're still called Herefords and still look like the same Herefords we see grazing in English fields... I watched "Hang 'em High" recently and it starts with Clint guiding cattle across a river: unmistakeable beasts with the red and white patched colours looking just at home in Arkansas as they do in their home county

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
The PPt mpc I have is phenomenal. I am currently using my Saxscape Prototype but there is not a lot of difference.

Alc.

Locality
Thanks, Jeanette; I'm very sensitive (snicker).

Ivan, there are Herefords, Angus, and the owner's horse kicking at the snow to browse on the green stuff underneath. I am constantly in wonder when I see them surviving where puny humans would be overcome in just a few minutes. Even Clint wouldn't last long ( I should bite my tongue here, as nothing could stop a Hollywood hero).

Prof, you slipped in while I was posting. I am leaning toward the PPT bari Signature, but can't decide on 7 or 8.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
My suggestion go for the 7.............great piece of kit!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
This mpc is even LOUDER than the alto! When I used the wind necessary to get results from the 2 1/2 reeds I saw several Herefords grazing in the back field turn to look at what the hell caused the ruckus!
Probably thought their luck was in.

Alc.

Locality
Targa, now you mention it, there was a similarity to the bellowing of an amorous bull.

Alc.

Locality
Prof, I hope my post didn't sound as though I'm complaining. The response from the PPT simply surprised me! I certainly won't play the thing outside; I could be involved in a stampede! Even so, the Saxscape sounds intriguing. I'm Googling it now.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Prof, I hope my post didn't sound as though I'm complaining. The response from the PPT simply surprised me! I certainly won't play the thing outside; I could be involved in a stampede! Even so, the Saxscape sounds intriguing. I'm Googling it now.
@Al C. understood and just let me know if you want to try the Saxscape....not a problem I trust any forum member.

I also adore my tenor PPT

Alc.

Locality
Thanks, Prof. I would like to try the Beast. Google has much good to say about it. As for being trusting, and being a very old member of the humanoid situation, I have found that this site proves my cynical beliefs can be set aside on occasion. I still ponder the PPT bari, but will try the 7, as you mentioned. I understand I could trade back, within reason. It probably would not take more than a day to determine if the #7 was for me.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I don't suppose it's any help but I play a bari PPT 8* with RJS 3S reeds. It's an adequately noisy combination.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
If you want loud, get the Power, not the Signature. Although I have an 8* for tenor, the 7 is an easy blow on bari. Judging by Nick's comment 7/8 won't make much difference.

Alc.

Locality
Nick, if you were to play an 8 with a #3 reed in my rural neighborhood there would be elk with amorous intentions coming down from the Zuni Mountains, probably attacking the Hereford and Angus. I have just ordered the Sig 7, and hope to live in peace with nature(not to mention you-know-who) Thanks for the input, though. She still doesn't know I have ordered yet another bit of British treasure. Actually, she doesn't know where any of my collection comes from; truthfully, she doesn't come in the music room like she used to. I pay the bills and she finds other things to do. She's a good kid.

Kev, that is good to know, about the 7 being an easier blow on bari, as this old fool was a smoker for more decades than I care to relate, but, since going back to the saxophone my doctor says that it must be playing a wind instrument that has caused my lungs to be functioning much like those of a much younger idiot. (I added idiot) But I do believe that the exercise of the lungs can't do but benefit them as well as any muscle. The muscle between the ears likewise must improve with the study of scales, etc. (of course I only mean jazz) Groove on.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I'm just glad I never started. My mum smoking in the car when I was a kid put me off cigarettes completely.

Alc.

Locality
Kev, I'm glad you never got the habit. It is a nightmare to rid oneself of, and I hope I fought it off in time (ten years ago, but one never knows). But I do believe the saxophone has greatly improved my lung capacity. All recent tests say things look good. Now...where the hell is my bari PPT? (just kidding, I have patience...##%^&&* US Customs!) Now back to the tenor...

Latest: Members' Recordings