support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT Tenor mpc

Adrian63

Good afternoon from my smartphone: many thanks to @Pete Thomas : Ed Pillinger also for my new tenor mpc which arrived just a half hour back . I need to check if I have a light or not but as soon as I can I'll be back with first impressions : looks great and nicely packaged....thankyou Gentlemen!!

@saxyjt : hi man hope you are well...
The phone is a Samsung ; not too sure of the number offhand ; six months old...
Anyhow I'm flitting between a pad on its last legs and two phone's plus one charger... :doh:
Found a lig which may be a little too large but one way to find out...
Back later...

What a great mpc !! A real pleasure to play : Ed Pillinger is a true craftsman and without doubt amongst the very best . I still need to source a lig : I'm pretty sure there has been a thread about this but it would still be nice to know what you are using on yours....
Thanks

I really like the Rovner Star, but you can use most ligs as the table is as flat as a very flat thing that has just been ironed in a block of flats on a flat morning.

A cable tie is fine.

This is no good, you’re getting me interested again. I’ve no idea if I would want an 8 or a 9. Pete’s helpful descriptions don’t help at all. The RPC I play is pretty wide but could be anywhere between 115 and 125 any markings on it are gone and were only approximate anyway. It’s been a long time coming and I’m looking forward to your reactions.

Hi Jimmy : all good mate?
I just wish I had a better lig to really get down to it but first impressions are just great . Best way to describe I think is that it's got a real old school tenor sound going on : nice and fat !! Its finished beautifully; the gold band around the shank is a nice touch . I haven't played one of Ed's mpcs for a long time ; I used to have one of his slant links when I was having a Stan Getz period ( that doesn't sound right)...er yeah : that was a fabulous mpc but this 10 is a real free blow and doesn't seem as open as it is...proper old sound mate..I'm well happy !!

Excellent. I hadn’t realised you’d gone for a 10, so it was a special order. Good luck finding a lig, try some O rings if you have any lying about.

They’re little rubber rings you can get at a hardware shop, like fat little rubber bands 2-3 mm wide and assorted diameters so they are firm, unlike an elastic band. I think the original 10Mfan metal mouthpieces had them round the shank for decorative purposes. You wouldn’t want to use them on a regular basis but a couple will work fine in the short term but if you don’t have any then you might as well find a proper lig.

For what it's worth, I have found the Vandoren Optimum ligature (that I used on my Vandoren T25) fits my newly acquired PPT Onyxite 7* Tenor mouthpiece perfectly. :cool:

Like I said before, that one works great for me. I got it with a Vandoren T20 years ago and it's very good ligature.

Another one that I use a lot on many mouthpieces is the Claude Lakey Compass ligature. I think I bought it here and it's actually very flexible...

The weekend mate : I'm not gonna get a decent lig until the middle of next week. Can grab some of these tomorrow as the two screw I'm using is crap ; keeps slipping
You can often find packs of them with different sizes otherwise you’ll have to guess. If you have a Robert Dyas near you they should have the selection packs. They’re cheap enough.

Back
Top Bottom