support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

IMPORTANT PPT tenor mouthpiece pass around

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
The trouble with SYOS is that it's everything and anything! By definition.

So what would be a good model to compare with the PPT?

Are we talking about one of their Original, Signature or Custom lines?

Pete? What's on your mind?

David Dorning

Locality
Chichester, UK
I'm interested in the PPT 8 passaround.

As an aside re Syos, I recently took a punt on one of their Freak packages (2 cosmetically imperfect mps guaranteed to have different geometries). 2 for less than the price of one but a bit of a lottery. I hoped to get a bright one for Bari, and the package contained a pretty standard mp and a Scott Paddock one with a baffle that I'm very pleased with. Lots of funky power if I need it and I can live with the bright red colour.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Is there a change in design from the PPT that I would've bought five to six years ago, @Pete Thomas?

If there's a new concept I'd be keen to try

Ivan

Morty

Locality
York
I'm exploring mouthpiece set up at the mo so will definitely follow this with interest!

David Roach

Locality
London
I'm up for the 8* tenor.
As a (really) big fan of Ed's work I would be happy to join in on this pass around.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
Oh ok thought the potential sales might be a reason....
The 7* isn't that popular - I'd have to order one in to be made and the 8* does everything a 7* can do and more. Due to the baffle which I think on the 7* does bring out the full PPT big sound so well. You put a 7* next to an 8*, nobody would buy the 7* IMO.

eb424

Locality
london
The 7* isn't that popular - I'd have to order one in to be made and the 8* does everything a 7* can do and more. Due to the baffle which I think on the 7* does bring out the full PPT big sound so well. You put a 7* next to an 8*, nobody would buy the 7* IMO.
Oh ok cool..to big for me tho..

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Café Supporter
Locality
Oneonta, NY
True that...im judjing on other pieces...8s tigjt even on big baffles..
What you have to keep in mind is that tip opening size is not uniform per numbering or lettering system across all manufacturers. My main alto mouthpiece is a Meyer NY 7, it's .081 inches. I have a Jody Jazz Jet 7 that's .086 and a Beechler 6 that's .080. The only way to tell is to try. You should give it a shot. You might like it and if not, you know that piece is not for you.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Pete, what PPT tip opening would equate to an 8* Super Tone Master?

I spotted the STM for sale, but wonder if my money would be better spent on a PPT, or perhaps I should forget either as I don't play tenor that much and it's just GAS repeating on me...?

Stick to my 6C?

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
Pete, what PPT tip opening would equate to an 8* Super Tone Master?
It’s not that straightforward and it’s a while I played a STM but I would imagine a 9* would be a good starting point.

But then I have little regard of the tip size relevance, if it’s about resistance then I temper that with the reed anyway.

And unlike some, we have a generous trial (aka return policy) period.

Top Bottom