Canadians no problem. Caption competition:

mounties-ppt.jpg

What the puck is that Pierre?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I've just taken delivery of a tenor PPT 10*.
First impressions are rather favourable. Unsurprisingly, it's rather like the 9* that I normally use but, I think, with a smidgen more oomph. The reeds I use on the 9* (VaVoz med, RJS 3M) feel a bit firmer so I might go down in strength to reduce the effort involved and brighten it up a bit. I think I've only got those reeds and harder so I may have to buy new ones :eek:. Notes above E4 pop out a little more easily so with a bit of luck I'll be able to outscream the guitarist. I've got a gig tomorrow so I'll give it a blast.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I've just taken delivery of a tenor PPT 10*.
First impressions are rather favourable. Unsurprisingly, it's rather like the 9* that I normally use but, I think, with a smidgen more oomph. The reeds I use on the 9* (VaVoz med, RJS 3M) feel a bit firmer so I might go down in strength to reduce the effort involved and brighten it up a bit. I think I've only got those reeds and harder so I may have to buy new ones :eek:. Notes above E4 pop out a little more easily so with a bit of luck I'll be able to outscream the guitarist. I've got a gig tomorrow so I'll give it a blast.

What you have is the Semi-Hooligan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I have t'hooligan, but only a couple of short goes so far

Scarily open tip

I've used my go to reeds, RJS 2M and Plasticover 2.5. I'm a soft reed sort of a guy

First use and the highs are easier and overall more attack than my current favourite which is a metal PPT 8*

I haven't found the Hooligan to be louder than the 8*, which surprises me. Mind you I'm used to creating a piercing sound, louder even than a Ponzol, so maybe my technique should change for the 11

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
I am interested in your thoughts the balance low to high as well Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Well I tried to like the monster but I was unable to distinguish a difference in tone between it and my trusty PPT8*

Likesay my PPT 8* is plenty loud enough. The eleven was more difficult to play but without offering something new and exciting

I hope @Jazzaferri will find the magic that eluded me

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
...Oh and I tried the baritone reed trick and sounded like a duck

Clearly I dinnae have the skills to bring out the best in this rare behemoth

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
Now That I know it's on the way I have to try and be patient....very likely I will fail....but Canada post excel at the snail mail thing so with luck it should be here by June.

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
It arrived this morning

First impressions. I love the way the mouthpiece looks, and it is beautifully finished for a prototype. Fortunately had an old 2 screw Lig that fit. Spent about half an hour going back and forth between my 10MFan Boss and the Hooligan. Tried a 2 1/2 Bass Clarinet and 3 and 3 1/2 Tenor Sax Legere Signature Reeds.

Facing curve works well on all 3 no quackiness or other oddities. As expected the 3 is easier at this stage to go quietly down low but was a little more fussy on altissimo. A few hours of get to know are in order.

Sound wise my first impressions are its not quite as raspy as my Boss can be but offers a wider palette in the more civilized range of sax noises. I use a 10MFan Robusto for section work which is a great section mouthpiece.

Mid point of the soundscape of the PPT is between the two others. Time will tell, but I think the altissimo on Pete's piece is capable of being a little fuller if not overblown. Both Boss and PPT can shriek up there if pushed.

Again first impressions but I think the PPT Hooligan has the widest sound palette of any mpce I have played so far. Intonation on my SML Gold Medal 1 requires a wee bit less correction on the PPT than the Boss which indicates to me that the mpce and SML are a great match. Big bore horn and big open mpce.

Nicely free blowing which Suits my style. A few hours of long tones at the bottom and altissimo ends will tell the tale.

Oops forgot to add, it's nicely balanced across the range of the horn.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I'm pleased t'hooligan arrived at last

Royal Mail was right that it was 'overseas'

You're able to appraise that curvaceous piece better than I

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
SIM going to go out tomorrow and see if I can find a decent Lig. I use a Silverstein on my Boss so I want to find something that fits that lets the Reed resonate a little better. Not sure if a difference is noticeable to others but I will feel better LOL

@Ivan ....the tip is indeed prett curvy. It's a very comfortable beak too, not too much of a mouthful.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom