support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures PPT Signature Baritone Mouthpiece

JazzMatt

Account Closed
Acquired a bari sax a couple of months ago as I've joined rehearsals for a new big band in our area that is being run by an ex Syd Lawrence Orchestra saxophonist.

Been honking on an Evette bari with a Rico Graftonite B7 and RSJ 2S reeds.

Want something a bit smoother so just pulled the trigger on the PPT Signature Baritone Mouthpiece and wondered on ligatures for it. Currently using a rovner tenor lig. Am I right thinking a bass clarinet lig is a good fit?

Acquired a bari sax a couple of months ago as I've joined rehearsals for a new big band in our area that is being run by an ex Syd Lawrence Orchestra saxophonist.

Been honking on an Evette bari with a Rico Graftonite B7 and RSJ 2S reeds.

Want something a bit smoother so just pulled the trigger on the PPT Signature Baritone Mouthpiece and wondered on ligatures for it. Currently using a rovner tenor lig. Am I right thinking a bass clarinet lig is a good fit?

The one I recommend is a Rovner or GF bass clarinet. I used to be able to source a good supply of ligs wholesale for PPTs but haven't been able to do that for a while. I think have one final GF on the site, see Ligature for PPT

Or I'm happy to bung in an el cheapo metal 2 screw I have knocking around, it has a bit of cork glued on to make it fit better.

Last edited:
I'll try to make some experiments with mine. I have a PPT Signature 7* and a few ligatures to play with. I could also use some bits of cork. I think I have a few corks hanging around from long forgotten wine bottles... :rolleyes:

The one I recommend is a Rovner or GF bass clarinet. I used to be able to source a good supply of ligs wholesale for PPTs but haven't been able to do that for a while. I think have one final GF on the site

Ligature for PPT

Or I'm happy to bung in an el cheapo metal 2 screw I have knocking around, it has a bit of cork glued on to make it fit better.
Thanks Pete. The fragrant one has just got a bass clarinet so I might borrow her bg ligature and go from there.

I'll defo beat the GF in mind in case hers doesn't fit.

Who's is the guy that makes textile ligs to order? I seem to remember reading about him on here.

You can always tailor a textile lig by removing the textile bit and cutting a new piece to fit to the mouthpiece. Not half as complicated as I've made it sound. ;)

Here is what I came up with today:
IMG_20181204_120307394.jpg

A Rovner bass clarinet ligatures with a slice of synthetic cork that both add enough thickness to tighten the screw without having the ends meet and it provides a way to better hold the reed in position. That's a Fibracell 2,5 and it's loud with the PPT.

I also tried a 2,75 Légère Signature, but it's a bit hard for me with this setup. At least it felt that way. But at least the Légère stayed in its place, while it tends to move sideways when I set the mouthpiece on the neck.

I was very lucky to manage to cut a clean slice of synthetic cork. I used a thin ham knife that I just sharpened for the occasion. The cork didn't even feel it!

A Rovner bass clarinet ligatures with a slice of synthetic cork that both add enough thickness to tighten the screw without having the ends meet and it provides a way to better hold the reed in position. That's a Fibracell 2,5 and it's loud with the PPT.

I'm a bit confused by that, I found the Rovner bass clarinet fits fine without any added thing.

@Pete Thomas Just to let you know that the eagle has landed!! Many thanks for getting that out to me so expeditiously.

More so than usual, but i'll be clock watching until the fragrant one's son goes home and I can get play testing this awesome looking piece. Really looking forward to it - i'll be swiping her BG L9R Revelation Bass Clarinet ligature when she's not looking :sax:and strapping on!

Here is what I came up with today:
View attachment 11912

I also tried a 2,75 Légère Signature, but it's a bit hard for me with this setup. At least it felt that way. But at least the Légère stayed in its place, while it tends to move sideways when I set the mouthpiece on the neck.

I was very lucky to manage to cut a clean slice of synthetic cork. I used a thin ham knife that I just sharpened for the occasion. The cork didn't even feel it!
The angle of this photo makes me think of a Disney alligator character...

I'm a bit confused by that, I found the Rovner bass clarinet fits fine without any added thing.

It's a Rovner 3RL and it's almost loose when the ends meet.

The angle of this photo makes me think of a Disney alligator character...

Like Ivan, I thought of a Duck when I posted it.

I'm thinking Donald Duck

I always liked Donald Duck and at some point I used to wear a black baseball cap that had me nicknamed Donald Duck. Not for long...

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom