support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT Onyxite 8* . a new Beginning

Ads

I generally suggest not reviewing anything before spending a decent amount of time with it but in this case I wanted to post my findings from a first blow perspective , this being a mouthpiece rather than a horn and my previous perceptions about very wide gaps .

After about 25 years with just one mouthpiece a Selmer S80 E, then added a Bari 105 HR for a wide gapper to get more projection and control - then 3 or 4 years with those two til last year when the '75 MkVII became the '13 Silver Lady YTS62 and the "soft" piece became a Yani 5 HR which I like very much for a lively narrow gap HR (the S80 went with the MkVII) , I didn`t like the Bari on Yamaha so have been deliberating wide gap pieces for quite a while, not having anywhere to trial them without an 80 mile round trip and not wanting to get into the whole Buying and selling lark with the things and ending up confusing myself over what was better than what , I`ve been at a loose end regading pieces ..

Daveysaxboy (who I bought the YTS-62 from and seems to be on my wavelength regarding horns and sound) kept on recommending PPT as have a few others here but the 7* smallest gap thing kept putting me off . the thought of an 8* was mindnumbing, Pete flashed up a couple of PPT Onyxites on the Yardsale as cosmetic seconds at silly low Prices and JamesMac snapped up the 7* before I had a chance to even see it . I like the standard width of HR pieces which the Onyxite retains and after a chat with Pete about PPTs and how they play, pushed the button on the 8* ..

The Piece arrived first thing this morning , the only soft reeds I have are Rico Orange 2s and the only really suitable lig, my Rovner Light (On HR pieces I`ve always prefer metal ligs for their brightness and lack of squeaks with hard reeds compared to the Rovner light) clapped them together and WOW you could drive a bus through that gap . Freckadoodledoo , there`s no way I`m going to be able to play that !!! ,

Well on the neck it went and wow , Errr, Wow , Yup, WOW ! not only even on the first 10 mins can I play it but it`s giving me more control and sound manipulation than I`ve ever had before from low level smooch to honkin' Rock'n'Roll .... Despite the baffle, it`s digging a deeper bottom end from the 62 than the Yani piece , it`d probably go subsonic on the Jupiter 7 series !, I love the way it brightens up when you really push it (I need that for Rock) ...... the most amazing thing is that `ol Girlychops Ads who`s been "frightened" of getting a 7* is playing an 8* at all levels across the whole range, I`d never have thought i`d be able to smooch the bell notes on an 8* whilst not losing the ability up top .

This would seem to be a new beginning, I`m only a couple of hours into it and have to bond with the piece properly, also I`m using basic Rico Oranges (all had in 2s), I`ve yet to try Legere which Pete recommended I try - the RJS I have are too heavy for now for me for this piece so will post as I progress . anway it would seem that rather than needing two mouthpieces, I`ll be able to do the lot on ONE , I`ll keep the Yani as a backup of course .. Davey will say "told ya so " and rightfully too ......

Best bit of course is that it looks essentially well cool on a Silver horn
PPT-Onyxite.JPG

These things are cheap at the full (non seconds) price even going by the performace I`ve seen so far and I`ve not even scratched the surface of what it can do yet... it Ought to really Rock on the 10M !!

I wonder how JamesMac (who's had far more mouthpieces than I have) is getting on with the 7* version .

I`ve been giving the piece a good thrash the last hour and The Rovner Light is a squeakmaster on any mouthpiece so is a challenge on an 8* , it simply doesn`t clamp the reed to the table well enough but my Metal lig barely fits the PPT (it`s a tight fit on the Yani) but sounds and works beautifully squeakfree so I`ll have to get a better lig for this piece ... the interesting thing is that the table looks wide, I`ve not even seen a Bari reed but wondering if they`d work on this in the way that people use Tenor reeds on alto and alto reeds on sop - LOL.

If you`re getting on with the 7* Pauline and its giving you all the projection you need, no need to change :)

Give one a go Mel - on tenor of course . I`ll have a go at some stage with PTFE tape on the Yam Alto to see what happens, I`ve never tried "crossbreeding" Mpcs and saxes before . LOL

Davey has the sop version I think Jeanette, maybe he can comment ..

Yup - Prof and Andrew, glad I did it and I bet that 9* delivers some punch !!

it`s just the "Light" version from what I can tell , I`ve got the BG with the metal pressy thing and is fine (except that the one I have is Alto) .. I don`t know what reeds it was designed for, I don`t have any of the Legere ones which pete favours yet ..

The postman's just been.

It's rather good. At least as loud as the MBIIs I currently use and possibly slightly freer blowing. It's a teensy bit brighter I think too. Plenty of welly. Don't know what the lig is (1 screw fabric - might be a BG) but it holds the reed fine.

it`s just the "Light" version from what I can tell , I`ve got the BG with the metal pressy thing and is fine (except that the one I have is Alto) .. I don`t know what reeds it was designed for, I don`t have any of the Legere ones which pete favours yet ..

I use rico jazz select 2hard and Rigotti gold 2 1/2

I generally suggest not reviewing anything before spending a decent amount of time with it but in this case I wanted to post my findings from a first blow perspective , this being a mouthpiece rather than a horn and my previous perceptions about very wide gaps .

After about 25 years with just one mouthpiece a Selmer S80 E, then added a Bari 105 HR for a wide gapper to get more projection and control - then 3 or 4 years with those two til last year when the '75 MkVII became the '13 Silver Lady YTS62 and the "soft" piece became a Yani 5 HR which I like very much for a lively narrow gap HR (the S80 went with the MkVII) , I didn`t like the Bari on Yamaha so have been deliberating wide gap pieces for quite a while, not having anywhere to trial them without an 80 mile round trip and not wanting to get into the whole Buying and selling lark with the things and ending up confusing myself over what was better than what , I`ve been at a loose end regading pieces ..

Daveysaxboy (who I bought the YTS-62 from and seems to be on my wavelength regarding horns and sound) kept on recommending PPT as have a few others here but the 7* smallest gap thing kept putting me off . the thought of an 8* was mindnumbing, Pete flashed up a couple of PPT Onyxites on the Yardsale as cosmetic seconds at silly low Prices and JamesMac snapped up the 7* before I had a chance to even see it . I like the standard width of HR pieces which the Onyxite retains and after a chat with Pete about PPTs and how they play, pushed the button on the 8* ..

The Piece arrived first thing this morning , the only soft reeds I have are Rico Orange 2s and the only really suitable lig, my Rovner Light (On HR pieces I`ve always prefer metal ligs for their brightness and lack of squeaks with hard reeds compared to the Rovner light) clapped them together and WOW you could drive a bus through that gap . Freckadoodledoo , there`s no way I`m going to be able to play that !!! ,

Well on the neck it went and wow , Errr, Wow , Yup, WOW ! not only even on the first 10 mins can I play it but it`s giving me more control and sound manipulation than I`ve ever had before from low level smooch to honkin' Rock'n'Roll .... Despite the baffle, it`s digging a deeper bottom end from the 62 than the Yani piece , it`d probably go subsonic on the Jupiter 7 series !, I love the way it brightens up when you really push it (I need that for Rock) ...... the most amazing thing is that `ol Girlychops Ads who`s been "frightened" of getting a 7* is playing an 8* at all levels across the whole range, I`d never have thought i`d be able to smooch the bell notes on an 8* whilst not losing the ability up top .

This would seem to be a new beginning, I`m only a couple of hours into it and have to bond with the piece properly, also I`m using basic Rico Oranges (all had in 2s), I`ve yet to try Legere which Pete recommended I try - the RJS I have are too heavy for now for me for this piece so will post as I progress . anway it would seem that rather than needing two mouthpieces, I`ll be able to do the lot on ONE , I`ll keep the Yani as a backup of course .. Davey will say "told ya so " and rightfully too ......

Best bit of course is that it looks essentially well cool on a Silver horn
View attachment 2118

I'm just happy you like it, seems a lot also which is great. Looks killer on the silver lady.

The tenor's sublime. The sop's even better. Go on, treat yourself!

Tempted but wouldn't know where to start with tip openings, should probably ask Pete lol

I have also promised my tutor not to mess with my set up while I concentrate on my playing (mind you he doesn't come on here so might get away with it) :)

Jx

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom