support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT7 * difference in sound bronzite and onyxite

kpsenior

Locality
Bonn, Germany
Hi, I am playing the PPT 7* Bronzite on Tenor. What I would like to know is, whether there is a difference in sound between the 7* Bronzite and the 7* Onyxite.
Is there anybody outside, who played both.
Perhaps Pete can answer ?
Klaus

Hi, I am playing the PPT 7* Bronzite on Tenor. What I would like to know is, whether there is a difference in sound between the 7* Bronzite and the 7* Onyxite.
Is there anybody outside, who played both.
Perhaps Pete can answer ?
Klaus

I have switched between blue, bronzite and onyxite and never noticed any difference, or at least no more difference than there might be between two 7* of identical material, or differences you might get from taking a reed and ligature off and putting on another mouthpiece

And even then any differences weren't actually noticeable when recorded, so may be more of what you notice when playing on account of the sound conducted through your teeth.

However I hear all the time of people who can tell the difference between two ligatures, which I can't, so maybe my hearing is not so good.

Ed Pillinger believes there can be a subtle difference in sound. Most of the science on this would indicate that this is not possible as the only vibration that matters is the vibration of the air column, not the mouthpiece or saxophone body material. However as you all know this is hotly debated especially as many companies use different materials and their marketing department likes to say it makes a difference.

My decision to use Onyxite was purely for cosmetic reasons, I wanted a mouthpiece that had a different look to most others out there. Simple as that.

The reason I discontinued Bronzite was because it made either keeping stock easier, or making the manufacturing process faster.

Ppt 7*

Pete, thank you for answering so fast and detailed. Thats what I hoped and expected. So I go on playing, changing between PPT 7* Bronzite and otherwise PPT 8* Onyxite.
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I am picking up a PPT 8* when I go to England for Christmas, what is the difference in sound between the 7* and 8*. And more importantly what ligature are you using, I am thinking of the Rovner EVO-2 or the new Selmer single screw metal ligature.

Regards Rikki

Ppt

Hi Riki,
you will have great fun with the PPT 8*. I think, that Pete can better describe the difference between the 7* and the 8*. For me, there is not too much difference. Perhaps the 7* is a little bit more edgier, but that surely depends on the reed and reed strength I use. I normally use the Vandoren Optimum Ligature, but also played both PPTs with the EVO 2 or even with the Rovner Platinum, but as sayed above, I prefer the Optimum.
Klaus

Back
Top Bottom