All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Potential embouchure problems

angie54321

I'm a complete newbie, and have been struggling to master embouchure.

I think I have finally got it - but I have a question:

I am putting my top teeth on the top of the mouthpiece as recommended. BUT two of my front teeth have veneers, and I am wary of the vibrations and the constant contact damaging the veneers.

Has anyone else had a problem with this and has ended up with dental problems, or am I worrying over nothing?

And....if it is a potential problem - what's the answer?

Any advice welcome!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi Angie,
you could try a mouthpiece patch. It's like a self-adhesive rubber patch that you stick on the upper side of the mouthpiece.
My top 2 front teeth are crowned and I used to get horrible vibrations through my teeth into my skull.
I used the thickest mouthpiece patch, it reduces the amount of vibration to virtually nothing for me, so hopefully would be of use to you.
Mandy

Justin Chune

Mouthpiece patches are the way to go and remember to play with a light touch. No biting and you'll be fine.

Jim.

angie54321

Hi Angie,
you could try a mouthpiece patch. It's like a self-adhesive rubber patch that you stick on the upper side of the mouthpiece.
My top 2 front teeth are crowned and I used to get horrible vibrations through my teeth into my skull.
I used the thickest mouthpiece patch, it reduces the amount of vibration to virtually nothing for me, so hopefully would be of use to you.
Mandy
Thanks, Mandy. After starting this thread I looked around the forum and found a thread from someone who was biting into the mouthpiece - and mouthpieces patches were recommended. So I ordered some. I'll let you know how it goes.

TomMapfumo

Hi Angie!

The thing to try and focus on with your embouchure is to aim for tha sides of your mouth to provide some pressure on the mouthpiece, so that you have a good "O" shape. It will help you counterbalance any need to grip the mouthpiece with pressure from top and bottom.

You are developing an embouchure, not making a toastie :shocked::w00t:;}!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

angie54321

Hi Angie!

The thing to try and focus on with your embouchure is to aim for tha sides of your mouth to provide some pressure on the mouthpiece, so that you have a good "O" shape. It will help you counterbalance any need to grip the mouthpiece with pressure from top and bottom.

You are developing an embouchure, not making a toastie :shocked::w00t:;}!

Kind regards
Can't I do both at the same time? ;)

I'll have a go at following your advice later, Tom, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMartin

Absolutely. I caught myself closing my jaw too much last night. Had been gurgling and making a nasty woolly sound on the low notes for a couple of weeks, blaming it on the reed and/or wondering if I had a leak.. Opened up a bit and used a bit more pressure at the sides of the mouth and it all went away instantly.

angie54321

Absolutely. I caught myself closing my jaw too much last night. Had been gurgling and making a nasty woolly sound on the low notes for a couple of weeks, blaming it on the reed and/or wondering if I had a leak.. Opened up a bit and used a bit more pressure at the sides of the mouth and it all went away instantly.
At the moment, as a complete beginner, I get some good strong clear notes, and then, for no (obvious to me) apparent reason, the odd squeak and squawk. I think I must relax my mouth without realising it and let in a bit of air. When I tighten up again, the squeaks stop (and the neighbours cheer!)

On a side note, I have just managed to play the first few bars of 'When The Saints Go Marching In' - for the first time and quite by accident (and without the music, hence my inability to get past the first few bars. I do have it in one of my books, quite a bit further in than I have gone). I'm over the moon! My very first tune!!!

BigMartin

Thanks! It's a tiny milestone....but one that means a lot when you start out. I'll be spending the rest of the day with an inane grin on my face....
Quite right, too. It's a great feeling when something comes together like that.

angie54321

quick update:

My mouthpiece pads arrived today, and I think they are the answer. My teeth feel protected now :)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

TomMapfumo

Let's here it for the "Protected Teeth" .............:w00t: :welldone:thankyou: :))) :cool:

The patches will be really helpful. In fact several manufacturers provide them already on mouthpieces - both my Phil-Tone mouthpieces have them.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Top Bottom