support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Posture (specifically for Baritone)

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Hi,
I am reading John Harle's book. I'm only a few pages in, but it got me thinking about and looking at posture.

Now, fortunately, my teacher started me on my first lesson 8 years ago talking about posture - particularly having the sax up high enough, an even stance, good straight back, low shoulders etc.

But that was on Alto, and I am now primarily a Baritone sax player.

So I considered my posture on Bari, which is also pretty good, but John Harle's book got me looking closer at how I stand, because there is no way in the world that you can play a Bari, either standing or sitting, without adding some twist into your vertical posture.

So, my question is, where do you twist?
Hips, shoulders, neck??

After much looking at myself and Bari in a full-length mirror, I decided the least stressful position was left leg slightly forward of right leg, feet at about shoulder width apart, and a stance which puts my left side slightly closer to the music stand than my right side left foot pointing at the stand, right foot pointing off at about 30-45deg, then head turned slightly to the left to see the stand / read the music.

But...to keep my body as near upright as possible, I need to raise the stand to be level with my eyes, which completely obscures the audience's view of my face. (John mentions that you may need to raise the stand, so am I supposed to perform without a stand (this is never going to happen, I am never going to be able to remember the notes!) or do I use a lower stand for performances only, thus ruining my good posture, or do I get some of those Dennis Taylor style glasses only the other way up so I can see out of the bottom?)

Anyway, your thoughts / suggestions?

I tend to compromise on the bari by tiltling my head slightly forwards (but not enough to cause real constriction in the air flow, I think). Otherwise the instrument is too vertical and the weight is all in front of me, straining my back. An added benefit is that the music (if any) doesn't need to be too high. Apart from that the body position is pretty much as you described.

Last edited:
I have the problem of trying to see round the top of my bari as it is directly in my eye line. If I try turning sideways far enough to clear that trying to focus on the score is impossible. May be a periscope would help. Son is on subs so he can nick one from the navy...:rolleyes:

Due to my large palms I play all my saxes except sop out to the side. To start I stand erect feet shoulder width apart head erect with no strain. Then I make sure the sax mpce sits perfectly in my mouth with no strain or movement.

I have fabricated attachments to the strap rings so that the saxes sit out to the side balanced and with no noticeable rotational moments. I also have to change the thumbrest positions on all my saxes .That way I get no strain on my arms/wrists/fingers as everything is falling into place in a comfortable relaxed way.

Some are lucky and can play out front. If you do it on the side :eek: then find a good stable relaxed position and work from there. I believe that above all it is very important for your head/neck to be in their natural upright postion.

If leg forward body angled is comfortable for you with no arm or head strain and you aren't dropping your head go for it.:yess:

we are all built a little differently and what works for one may not work for another.

Like @Nick Wyver I play Bari out in front, but then I'm probably more his size and shape than @MandyH . I rest the lowest bell part against my right knee to keep the beast forward

But recently I've inadvertently adopted a more lunging posture, left leg forward, body tilted forward slightly, if I'm doing some more lively playing. It seems to keep the bari just that little more stable in my hands

Anyroad I don't suppose twisting your spine for bari is any good, just like all other forms of lifting. I'm sure I saw the geezer in one of @kevgermany 's recently posted videos play the bari kinda across his front, or maybe I dreamed it

In broad response to all comments:
I don't think my normal posture is a problem, but I am aware that adding an extra 12-14lbs (5-6kg) of sax to my body and then turning or twisting could add extra and unnecessary strain to my body. Plus, none of us is getting any younger! I want to be "that old lady playing Baritone sax" so I wish to make sure I can stay in best condition. Also just because we've "always done it that way" does not stop me from looking at other options and possible improvements.
I did try bringing the Bari round in front of me, like I would my Alto, but it didn't feel right at all, maybe I should try it again, or persevere. I rest my alto on the front of my hip. Just about where your hand would sit if you could get it in your jeans pocket! My tenor does rest on the front of my thigh, so maybe the Bari can come more round to the front.
On the periscope problem - I use the top of the curve as a "bouncing ball" - the bar I am playing sits just above the top of the curve.
I use a FreeNeck harness, so at least most of the weight is not on my neck or back. I do stand (or sit) pretty much vertical so at the moment my back is not in any danger.

The lateral support muscles of the back have the capability to easily have the Bari out to the side for prolonged periods of time. Just remember that to avoid long term problems do some exercises that develop the other side of those muscles and stretch lots both before and after. If you don't, over time you will find that your spine takes on a new shape.

This is particularly important for those who are smaller in frame or out of condition