Portico Quartet - lovely curved soprano sax playing (Jack Wyllie)!

TomMapfumo

Hi there!

Went to the opening night of the Portico Quartet spring tour - lovely time, quite unique sound. For those not in the know they are Soprano Sax, Drums, Percussion, Double Bass. Fantastic sound, brilliant rhythms and soaring sax - quite meditative, introspective and very absorbing. To me they sounded like a combination of Jan Garbarek, Philip Glass, and Jan Tiersen. Great to meet them all afterwards - their latest album is also available on LP, though got another signed CD to add to my collection.

Jack Wyllie is a beautifully sounding sax player -plays a bit of Tenor, but his curved soprano sounded wonderful. Check out their website if you want to see them live in the next couple of months in a venue near you!

Brilliant :w00t::w00t:
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

dooce

I've got the Knee Deep album. He gets a really beautiful tone from that soprano and they are all superb players. I get a little bit tired of the hang - does it still feature in the line-up? It kind of defines the sound of the band and can make it a little one-dimensional to my ears. But it can't be that bad - I keep on listening.....

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

The line up involves one percussionist who plays a set of hangs, and the other now plays an ordinary drum kit. It makes quite a difference, and adds new textures and sounds. I'd be interested to see them play with an alto type instrument - a deeper flute, or alto trombone, or accordion type instrument at some stage, but lovely tunes.

Kind regards
Tom :cool:

Pee Dee

Why is it every time I listen to sop sax music it reminds me of Kenny Gee? Except Sydney Bechet of course!!

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Hard to work out which of the two sounds worse....!?
Just don't like either, irrespective of skill level.
If all soprano saxes sound like Kenny G you either need to get out more or have a hearing test!!!

Kind regards
Tom

half diminished

Why is it every time I listen to sop sax music it reminds me of Kenny Gee? Except Sydney Bechet of course!!
Tut, tut.......

Shame on you!

Hard to work out which of the two sounds worse....!?
Just don't like either, irrespective of skill level.
If all soprano saxes sound like Kenny G you either need to get out more or have a hearing test!!!

Kind regards
Tom
Tom

Couldn't agree more! Check out John Coltrane (my favourite things), Courtney Pine - though beware of semi-demi quavers at 250 bpm!, Antonio Hart, Andy Sheppard, John Surman .... there are many more!

Mamos

I saw them last year and they were very good

If I remember correctly they are coming to cornwall as part of this tour. I will go and see them again. well worth making the effort

mamos

Top Bottom