support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Portable recorders

johnboy

Locality
ISLE OF WIGHT, UK
Hi guys, I need a good quality recorder for gigs. At the moment I use a Creative Labs portable, and thats only good enough to hear my mistakes (it's good at that). I need something to hear the overall sound.

Who went out last night and left his Berg Larsen 0.120" mouthpiece on his other sax. All I had was a Rico Royal 0.95", and " Sods Law" - my reeds for the Berg. Boy did I struggle up top!.

johnboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoom H2 (or 2H) are excellent all rounders & they can be linked to a computer to record via the USB port too, whichi s handy. Highly recommended.

Agree completely. Zoom H2. I know somone who uses it to record his live gigs, plus OGs got one that I've used. That or the H4.
YC

Hold on with the H2 - I ordered one over the weekend, bound to be a new model announced a couple of days after minhe arrives.

But I think you want a recorder good enough to cover your mistakes. That's easy & cheap - use your cellphone. :))) It'll record the overall sound so that everything sounds so bad that your mistakes will be part of the background noise.

On the subject of Zoom H2s- does anyone know if the screw fitting for the base is the same as the default one used for cameras? I've lost mine and was wondering if one of the mini-tripods you can get from camera shops would fit...

Kev, my phone is so old, it's only slightly better than two tin cans and a piece of string. (I just about know how to use that).

Hi Johnboy
I've got a Zoom H4N that is excellent for recording the practice bands that I play in. It screws to a cheap photo tripod that I bought from Jessops. Dead easy to transfer recordings into the computer, and with hours of memory space when used for mp3 recording. Tends to need a spare set of NiM hydride batteries if used for a two hour session (standard AA), but can be mains powered.
Pricey, but worth it.
Malcolm

On the subject of Zoom H2s- does anyone know if the screw fitting for the base is the same as the default one used for cameras? I've lost mine and was wondering if one of the mini-tripods you can get from camera shops would fit...

Yup, standard tripod mount. You can get one from eBay for approx three buttons.

Thanks Malcolm, on Wednesday, I'm coming back to Blighty for five weeks. It will give me a chance to have a look round. It appears from posts, that Zoom is the way to go and the H4N is one I'll be looking at. The other advantage of buying while in England is we can use our friends house for deliveries (my PPT8 has just arrived there). We live in an apartment out here, and the post can be a bit hit and miss (the intercom isn't working and manyana rules). Manyana isn't spelt right cos my keyboard won't do it!

johnboy.

If you get a zoom H2, check around carefully. Some guys just sell the recorder with a transformer, from others the pack includes the windshield, mini tripod, microphone mount adaptor, case. And it's usually the same price. Would also be worth getting one locally, as you'll end up with a european, not UK transfomer, so won't need to mess with an adapter.

Other thing to watch is the cards, most guys are bundling them with a 4GB SDHC card as well as the manufacturer's tiny one, sometimes 8GB ones, again the price doesn't change that much. It's also worth looking to see if yuo can get the silicon case thrown in as well, but that offer wasn't around last weekend when I placed my order, unlike a year ago...

I found one UK guy (can't remember whom) selling on ebay in Germany, who was doing all this and supplying UK recorders, and putting in an adapter for EU plugs fo ones sold outside the UK.

Yes I thought about an H4, but I'm shelling out a load of dinero at the moment on my toys - PPT8, Fibracell reeds, Haynes manual and loads of nicknacks (I'm going to buy my mates '57 Mk6 if it's still available). So this morning I bought an H2 (with all the goodies) on ebay.
Thanks for all the advice chaps. This old codger needs it!

johnboy.

Mine arrived today. I'm pleased with it. Just missing a speaker for playback, unless I'm missing something.

Mine arrived today. I'm pleased with it. Just missing a speaker for playback, unless I'm missing something.

Headphones, Kev, headphones.

The size of speaker you'd get in something like a Zoom H2 would be pretty useless anyway. The little earphones they supply are miles better, and perfectly useable, or you can get super Sennheiser ones for less than twenty quid.

thanks Jon. Have been using the ones they supplied. Not too bad. Recording quality is great, but what I'm recording isn't... Still, that's why I bought it. Now for some focussed work.

Although a satisfied user of an H2, they will never match the performance of those magnificent 38 inch per minute, valved tape decks that Telefunken used to produce.

Sorry! You said portable and I also forgot the cause of that hernia.

Yes Kev, it was your last post (can I hear a bugle). - Sorry, as you say, I hope you get used to my warped sense of humour. My wife Carole hasn't.

johnboy

Yes, weren't those Telefunkens great. I got a hernia, piles and a heart attack from carrying mine (My cats blacker than yours).
I seem to be saying sorry an awful lot!

johnboy.

Yes Kev, it was your last post (can I hear a bugle). - Sorry, as you say, I hope you get used to my warped sense of humour. My wife Carole hasn't.johnboy

John, was part of your "warped sense of humour" marrying Carole in the first place?

Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole. Please don't show this to Carole.

I did write, "Please don't show this to Carole.", so why did you? Now need to wear a flak jacket permanently.