Pop to Opera.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Listening to the 'Today' programme around 08:20 LIDL time, was amazed to hear the audience clapping in time to a Mozart aria.

That raises the question, will we be encouraged to clap in time to the various Dead Marches during the funeral parade, when Brenda turns her toes up? :confused:

Young Col

I should have added this to the "What really gets on your nerves" thread, but since you raised it...

On TV shows where there's any music vaguely like 4/4 you get this inane audience mass clapping, no doubt led by the floor manager. But if you watch Strictly Come Dancing (and I confess I have) you realise the audience can't handle anything outside of common time. They never clap during a waltz or anything more complicated.

Wasn't it Dave Brubeck who used to get his audiences clapping in 5/4 (in the days when it was unusual) and stranger time sigs?
YC

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
YC, You've got it wrong.
On March 1st I become the clapping leader at the Fairfields, June 1st, move to the Buck House Mews apartment for the revived post of "Queen's Leader with ye Clap' with special responsibility for the Royal Opera House, the Royal Ballet and the Royal Phil, the orchestra, not the Greek gentlemen.
Next year, real stardom, Bayreuth Festspielhaus.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I remember a record early eighties with a medley of classical tracks with clapping to the music, I don't remember the title but I used to call it Classical Clap.
It wouldn't surprise me if people did start clapping to funeral music as the morons do it instead of a one minute silence or at a natural event like the eclipse although what they probably don't know why they do it they just have to make a noise.

RedBottom

Yeah, but try to get your audience clapping along to something like Radetsky March or Hootenanny and you're fighting a losing battle.

Mind you, we have had them dancing in the park to Amarillo and In the Mood before now. :welldone

Young Col

Bill,
Is it part of the duties or do you get time off for leading the clapping in the Radetzsky March at the Vienna New Year's concert? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zlE5ipwna8.

Note that they are all invited to clap only in the martial chorus. A few ladies in the front try to continue into the more scherzando section but rapidly lose the thread. Horror of horrors though, in the last chorus there's one chap in the balcony not clapping. I bet he didn't get invited again.:shocked:
YC

RedBottom

A few ladies in the front try to continue into the more scherzando section but rapidly lose the thread. Horror of horrors though, in the last chorus there's one chap in the balcony not clapping. I bet he didn't get invited again.:shocked:YC
Get the woman in pink near the end, about 2:50. Can only see her top half. I don't know what she's doing, but she sure ain't clapping. Mind you, judging by the way she's grinning, I wonder it's not just the music that's making her happy. ;}

Top Bottom