All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Poor WiFi connection

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I have had a wonderful musical Christmas because my son bought me three autobiographies of great jazz and sax players which I am going to enjoy reading and my good lady after buying me an iPad last year has bought me a BOSE Bluetooth speaker to use with it this year and I have to say it is brilliant,the sound on the iPad left much to be desired,but doesn't something always have to spoil things,I have succumbed to the dreaded manflu and been spending some time in the pit trying to recover,so whilst reading one of the books and trying to listen to some music from the iPad over the speaker the damned iPad has decided to not be able to hook up with the pc WiFi GGRRRHH it never had a problem before but now it doesn't want to know and I must only be about 15ft from the hub,I have used other WiFi systems in the past one the original bt I got with them when I got broad band through them and I now use. Belkin system,I was wondering if it is possible to reconnect the bt system in the bedroom to get a better connection or will you only be able to use this if you are actually being supplied by bt my supplier now is TalkTalk which I also have A router for,any ideas you PC whizzes out there .......John

navarro

Hi John, I had a similair problem when I was with TT they told me to get a Dlink router which at that time was TT recommended. Being a novice I did what they suggested but it did not resolve the problem. I can not help you on the technicalities and I resoved it by doing without. I am no longer with TT as in London their service was pretty poor, basically unless there has been a radical overhaul of their support team disregard anything they advise you on. Just as an added comment when I left TT or should say try to leave them it took 7 weeks In the end I had to put in a new telephone number because TT refused to hand over that IP or whatever they call it to my new supplier. Hopefully they have improved in the year since I left. Regards N.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
I am also with TT and at the moment (touch wood) things are good. I agree with nav that their support service, India?, is pretty iffy.

I did however get a lot of help from their members forum when I was getting slow speeds. I didn't even know this place existed but it is monitored by 'real' second line TT people and they were able to sort my problem out quicker than the telephone support service

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

Give it a try if you haven't already

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Depending on the base station, you can set up a wifi repeater if you need, but the base needs to support it.

But you should find out what's wrong with your current setup - if it's not working from 15', either there's a lot of metal betwen you and the base station, or you've got heavy interference, possibly from another wlan on the same band, or possibly from another device on the 2.4GHz frequency - like mobile phones, radio controlled toys/gadgets. My son's RC helicopter really messes up our wifi.

Another possible cuplrit is bluetooth, so try turning off the speaker and bluetooth connection for starters.

Wifi is normally installed so that it switches channels to minimise interference, but it generally doesn't work very well. Going to a fixed channel may sort things out.

Another option is to get a lan that runs through the mains. Haven't tried it myself, but you basically plug an adapter intot he mains and cable that to your lan base, then plug in another adapter where you want to use the network. No radio problems...

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
It's surprising what interferes with the WiFi.

It took us weeks to realise that our wireless surround sound on the TV was interfering with the WiFi in our living room only.

One reason that it took so long was because the surround sound picked a different channel each time it booted, if you were already in the living room with a laptop connected to the WiFi, then the surround sound picked a different channel. If the surround sound was booted first, it might have picked the same channel as the WiFi, but it might not have. So sometimes we could go days with no interference problems. And initially it didn't dawn on us what the problem was.

The solution, however, is to switch off the surround sound, then connect the laptop to the WiFi, then reboot the surround sound which will pick a different channel!

As said elsewhere, you can set up a WiFi repeater, or use the mains link. But at 15' it would be reasonable to expect connection to the WiFi router.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The problem is that internationally there's an unregulated, unlicensed waveband at 2.4GHz. Which is used by RC models (not all), wifi, bluetooth, woreless keyboards, wireless mice and many other radio connections like surround sound radio speakers. The different systems try to share by coding and by using different channels in the waveband, but it's not always very successful.

Mandy's suggestion of turning on and off again is a good one, cos it's usually at turn on time that the channel is selected. But - channel comes from the base station/modem, not the ipad. Assuming it's the speakers, turning them & bluetooth off and then on again would maybe help.

You can also check with your neighbours - could be them as well, if so they're probably also having problems...

Just as an aside microwave ovens also share that waveband.... And if they leak not only do you get cooked, but also your wifi connections go for a burton until the oven is off.

jonf

Another possible cuplrit is bluetooth, so try turning off the speaker and bluetooth connection for starters.

Good suggestion. Also, does your iPad also have 3g connection? If it does, turn that off as well. None of the iPhone users at work could connect to the office wireless at all, until one of them tried turning off their 3g connection. Then, hey presto, it worked. Got to remember to turn it back on, of course.

My none-Apple laptop, the kid's netbooks, my Windows slate and android phone all work fine......

jrintaha

Have you tried a wifi scanner app on your phone or iPod? There are free ones for Androids at least. Won't detect non-wifi interference though.

We live in the university campus area, and there are about 20 different wifi networks in range in any given room. Took a while to find a list of channels that would work in every room.

Bluetooth should not bother Wifi -that- much, as it only occupies a tiny bit of the 2.4GHz band at any given time, although the peaks are quite high. Several BT connections running at relatively high data rates (such as music) will cause problems with wifi though.

Microwave ovens radiate a lot of energy in the same frequency range, even well shielded ones.

I'm on my smartphone right now, more on the subject when I'm on the computer.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Sorry can't help with the wifi John, but I hope you feel better quickly!
Thanks for the sympathy Di but I know I'm just a sad soft man that can't cope with a bit of a snivel and I'm definitely on the mend already,my good lady went in to work yesterday and she was full of it,thank goodness she has taken the day off today,maybe she just wanted to pass it around a bit,in fact I'm feeling so much better I'm thinking of convening the next MaSLM Meet.....John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Depending on the base station, you can set up a wifi repeater if you need, but the base needs to support it.

But you should find out what's wrong with your current setup - if it's not working from 15', either there's a lot of metal betwen you and the base station, or you've got heavy interference, possibly from another wlan on the same band, or possibly from another device on the 2.4GHz frequency - like mobile phones, radio controlled toys/gadgets. My son's RC helicopter really messes up our wifi.

Wifi is normally installed so that it switches channels to minimise interference, but it generally doesn't work very well. Going to a fixed channel may sort things out.

Another option is to get a lan that runs through the mains. Haven't tried it myself, but you basically plug an adapter intot he mains and cable that to your lan base, then plug in another adapter where you want to use the network. No radio problems...
Thanks Kev

I think one of the problems might be that I or at least the iPad is using Bluetooth to communicate with the speaker and maybe that is why the problem has started ......John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
It's surprising what interferes with the WiFi.

It took us weeks to realise that our wireless surround sound on the TV was interfering with the WiFi in our living room only.

One reason that it took so long was because the surround sound picked a different channel each time it booted, if you were already in the living room with a laptop connected to the WiFi, then the surround sound picked a different channel. If the surround sound was booted first, it might have picked the same channel as the WiFi, but it might not have. So sometimes we could go days with no interference problems. And initially it didn't dawn on us what the problem was.

The solution, however, is to switch off the surround sound, then connect the laptop to the WiFi, then reboot the surround sound which will pick a different channel!

As said elsewhere, you can set up a WiFi repeater, or use the mains link. But at 15' it would be reasonable to expect connection to the WiFi router.
Thanks Mandy

I'll tell you one thing I've just noticed about the Pc and that is I have tried to put an Internet connection to my sky box to get this anytime tv or whatever you call it,there has always been a telephone line to it but I connected an Internet cable from the adsi to it and the PC went in to snail mode as if the tv was taking all the juice from the Internet I don't know if it can do that but something certainly slows the PC down as soon as I connect to the tv Another Damned Problem......John

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Another observation here...
In my car, I have a SatNav (of the accessory type, not a built in one) and I have one of those FM transmitters that mean I can play my MP3 player via the car's radio. I have discovered that when the FM transmitter is on some frequencies, it completely takes out the signals getting to the SatNav and my car (and I) just get lost!!
If I shift the frequency of the FM transmitter, then the SatNav works fine.
Obviously the harmonics from the FM transmitter are just at the frequency of the satellite.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Another observation here...
In my car, I have a SatNav (of the accessory type, not a built in one) and I have one of those FM transmitters that mean I can play my MP3 player via the car's radio. I have discovered that when the FM transmitter is on some frequencies, it completely takes out the signals getting to the SatNav and my car (and I) just get lost!!
If I shift the frequency of the FM transmitter, then the SatNav works fine.
Obviously the harmonics from the FM transmitter are just at the frequency of the satellite.
Yes I've tried one of those too and what I noticed was that in England you had a chance but as soon as you got in France you couldn't find a channel that wasn't being used and as far as the sat nav thing goes I think it deliberately tries to get me lost and never fails to let me down when I need it most if anybody has tried to drive round the Concorde area of Paris using a sat nav they know just what I'm talking about ....John

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Couple of thoughts.

Delete the wifi connection on your iPad and re-set it up - it sometimes "gets confused".

Also, I thought I'd lost internet at home a few months ago. I got nowhere with the help desk of my ISP other than 'call out BT to check out your primary socket'. I went to local electrical retailer who have an electrical installation department. Spoke to very helpful guy. He suggested disconnecting the Sky phone connection.. Hmm - it worked.

There is a test socket on the box where the line comes in - it's worth trying to run off that to see if everything is working.

You might also want to check your micro-filters - might need a new one on the primary box (where the BT line comes in).

llamedos

Just to throw another spanner into the works, we have Virginmedia tv, phone and broadband and when a technician came to install a new tv box, he mentioned that the comic opera light bulbs of the euro-gloom type operate on a similar frequency to the remote control and can cause problems. He might have been on a mickey-taking kick aimed at us OAPs, but it's just bizarre enough to be true so it's worth mentioning and it also lowers the tone of the thread to a level I might get half way to understanding.

Happy New Year to one and all, by the way.

Dave

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Couple of thoughts.

Delete the wifi connection on your iPad and re-set it up - it sometimes "gets confused".

Also, I thought I'd lost internet at home a few months ago. I got nowhere with the help desk of my ISP other than 'call out BT to check out your primary socket'. I went to local electrical retailer who have an electrical installation department. Spoke to very helpful guy. He suggested disconnecting the Sky phone connection.. Hmm - it worked.

There is a test socket on the box where the line comes in - it's worth trying to run off that to see if everything is working.

You might also want to check your micro-filters - might need a new one on the primary box (where the BT line comes in).
Thanks for your input Ron,I think the only way available to reset the ipad WiFi is to turn it off and the back on which I have done and turned off other connections like Bluetooth and 3 and mobile data, and it searches for available systems and eventually finds the Belkin used as the router but the signal is minimal and if I move about a little it loses it altogether,I think the main problem, is the signal strength available in that room from the router,if I walk around the house with the ipad I can see the strength change and drop off as I move around the house and in to that particular bedroom,I think it may be the number of brick walls the signal has to pass through to reach the bedroom.

I installed an old router I got with the original bt system in the bedroom using a power socket and telephone line in the bedroom using an adsl, the ipad found it straight away and had a full strength signal but when you tried to connect to anything on the internet it just failed,is it not possible to set up a secondary system on the same phone line,I thought I had it sorted but obviosly not....john

ps not sure of the meaning of your last two comments

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom