Tutorials

Polo etiquette anyone? :confused:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Help. I know nothing about the game of Polo and I'm playing a gig on Saturday at the Beaufort Polo Club. Hopefully I will get the chance to chat to some of the party goers (get some networking going on) but I know nothing about Polo. The last thing I want to do is make a complete ar*e of myself, or the rest of the band for that matter ( I heard on the grapevine that a certain "next in line for the big chair if "Mumsie" gets out the way" will be there) :shocked:
Help. I'm just a poor boy from a poor family........
Does anyone know anything about this sport or the etiquette that goes with it, or should I just "Doff my cap and touch my forelock?"

dooce

Don't worry mate - with that sort of clientele, as a mere working-class artisan you'll be virtually invisible to them. They'll probably find your quaint clothing and accent mildly amusing, but other than that, I doubt they will trouble you. :D

SLoB

As the hired musicians I doubt they would talk to you.:(

However, if you get the chance simply admit to knowing nothing and ask them to explain the game. They will probably leap on the chance to show off their knowledge and you have a way in for your networking.

As for HRH, have met him twice a few years ago and found him to be very pleasant and far more sensible and knowledgeable than he is given credit for in the media. If he (or one of his entourage) speaks to you remember that they are only human after all, whereas we are saxophonists - a breed apart! :w00t:

Relax enjoy yourself and blow em away with your funky stuff. :sax:

Amaranth

I would tentatively suggest that treading divots (at the end of every quarter) is encouraged by/to everyone and a sure way to break the ice is to tread a steaming divot;)
(Aly now slinks away incase folk think she is still a posh bird like she was brung up to be)

SLoB

Some helpful snippets found on the www.

I am not saying that it is a sport mainly played by the upper class, but the horses don't say Neigh Neigh, they say Ya Ya Ya.

I am not saying that polo is a sport mainly done by the upper classes, but the crowd does not do a Mexican wave it does a royal wave.

What do you call a stable man who lives next door to his horses?
A neigh neigh bour

It is complete rubbish that only the upper class play the game. The super wealthy play too, and you could play the game without a horse, by riding a cheaper animal.​

For information the big brown thing that the Horray Henries sit on is the horse. Beware the front end because it tends to have ig teeth and eats anything put in its way including fingers. Beware the rear end because it discharges the composted remains of what goes in the front end and whatever you do DO NOT have a fag anywhere near the rear end because you could end up in the next county! :w00t:

During play the Hoorays swing a bloody great mallet wildly - a safe distance is probably no less than 1/4 mile.

If you haven't got a 4x4 they probably won't let you in the car park.

Whatever you do DO NOT play 'They shoot horses don't they' - it will not go down well!

The theme to 'Midnight Cowboy' might be taken as an insult - they may think you are refering to them as Wild West hicks.

If you play 'A Horse with No Name' you may get suggestions shouted from the audience.

I am sure others will have suggestions as to suitable song choices (or those to avoid).

Hope this helps :D

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
No horses in polo, only ponys... Yes, there is a difference. but here it's the name, not the animal.

Chukka - not something the players become after too many drinks, but a period of play in the match. 4,6 or 8 in a match, usually 6. Chukkas usually 7 minutes or 7.5 moinutes, but can be shorter.

4 players a side.

Like footie, the object is to score goals. Most goals wins.

Ball is struck with a mallet, not a bat or stick.

Divot stamping is for all spectators at half time - a social event.

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
:))):))) With all your "as usual" great advice, I can see myself peering from a barred window in the Tower of London, :(
Thanks folks, some great humour as usual!

Top Bottom