All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Polkadots and Moonbeams

Colin the Bear

Frank Sinatra's first hit with Err...Jerry Dorsey I think.

This singing lark is harder than saxophone playing.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/polkadots-and-moonbeams.

BiaB says this is Errol Garner playing the backing piano. I should coco

Last edited:

thesaxman71

you seem to be knocking out some really nice "feel-good" stuff here and in your latest postings, either you been watching loads of old movies or probably i think your new mic has inspired you, either way both is good!

as said before my only little snag thing is to use less reverb, a common thing people do is overkill on reverb when in fact a little less is better, giving it a warmer natural sound...not nit picking here just friendly mixing and recording chat fella!

thesaxman71

I just clicked the reverb button. I need to work out how to adjust the settings. I think for the vocal , any help I can get lol
I am sure there will be a something in the reverb setting where you can adjust the amount.
The vocals sound good and well within the genre of the music, sounds like an authentic crooner from the 40's and 50's, rich tone etc..

thesaxman71

I'm using the kjaerhous download for audacity. There seem to be a row of knobs to twiddle when you open it.

try adjusting the "decay" knob this will still give you reverb but reduces the amount...also there are some presets with less decay time you can use, if have a play around with it you will find it is a very easy plugin to use (it just looks fiddly at 1st) and i am sure you will get the hang of it in a matter of minutes.
enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
If you are using BiaB then you can record direct into that. That would let you use the built in leadsheet feature.. Comes with its own reverb as well:)

Colin the Bear

Man! a compliment from Wade :shocked:

Yes it's me. The radio in the dump truck doesn't work and I've been whistling and singing 10 hours a day. I thought I'd see if it sounds anywhere the same as it sounds in my head. I was going for Johnny Hartman. I think I got part way lol

I can't believe how hard the middle is to play and sing.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
Great stuff Colin really enjoyed it as always when you play and the singing too, never heard the tune before,I love your choices of tunes where do you get them all....john

Colin the Bear

This was Frank Sinatra's first hit so I probably heard it on one of his retro albums. With one of the Dorsey brothers bands. I have a collection of 1930's dance band tracks. It's so cheerful. I bought the fake forties book with 100 or so tunes in it and more recently the essential jazz collection. Although I like just about anything to listen to, I find my playing drawn to the 1940's song book. More of a swinger than a jazzer. I find these days I can't get my head round a tune that hasn't got words, apart from the odd exception.

I love the un pc ness of the 40's lyrics. Can you imagine the law suit if you called any one a pug nosed dream these days lol

thesaxman71

Colin you have inspired me to record a song with sax and vocals at a later date, hope i do not hurt peoples eardrums :D

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Wow - I wasn't expecting those vocals. I'm sitting here with a coffee and there you go brightening up this dull day - thank you. Love your playing too :)

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom