All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Poached Pears in a Rosemary Syrup.

TomMapfumo

My own version of a classic poached pear recipe. Ideal for Autumn, and also as a pudding for an Italian meal, amongst others.

Ingredients (for 4)

4 Pears (preferably a little firm).
500ml Pear or Apple Cider.
2 Unwaxed Lemons.
3/4 Sprigs of Rosemary.
100g Sugar (preferably brown).
Pot of Creme Fraiche or Vanilla Ice Cream.

1. Peel the pears using a flexible vegetable peeler, leaving some skin on near the top - like a pixie hat. Ciut in half lengthwise using a sharp knife. Using a tea spoon/melon baller/tomato corer, remove the core and set pear aside.
2. Zest both lemons, and then juice them.
3. Add cider, juice & zest to large frying pan and bring to the boil.
4. Add sugar and rosemary sprigs and reduce heat until there is hardly any surface movement.
5. Add pears to pan and add some water until covered. Turn pears to ensure both sides are moist.
6. Poach until pears are soft enough to have a sharp knife pushed into their flesh.
7. Remove pears from liquid and set aside to cool.
8. Bring back to boil and cook liquid until it thickens to a light syrup. Put pears in plastic container. Remove Rosemary sprigs from liquid and pour over pears before refrigerating.
9. To serve put 2 pear halves in centre of large plate - in Ying/Yang position. Place scoop of cremefraiche/ice-cream adjoining pears, and pour some liquid around/over pears as desired. Add a sprig of rosemary and thin slices of lemon to the plate for decoration, and serve.
10. If you are able, fan out the pears by using a sharp knife to make 4/5 parallel cuts
in the pear flesh, away from the stem, and press gently to the side to create the fan.

Enjoy.:cool:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Rosemary and pears -- interesting combination, I'll have to try that.Thanks Tom.
One of the pizzerias does a pizza with pears and a touch of origano on it. Absoulely brilliant with a ton of chillis.... So odd as it seems, I reckon this is wroth trying as well.

Top Bottom