All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Please help identify saxophone player who died in the 50s.

Mark D.

Can you kind people help? My father in law is within the last few days of his life, I love music but am not a musician. I have downloaded the music he can remember and it his playing in his room and it is making things easier, but he keeps referring to a musician from his youth who I cannot find, I will give all the info I have.
Brian, my Dad in law has played Clarinet primarily, flute alto and bass sax In bands all his life, he is suffering a little dementia which is why I’m finding it hard to pin down. He says he remembers “ a saxophone player who died in his 30’s, he was English and played solo and with big bands“, judging by Brians timeframe he would have died around early 1950’s, he swears he was a sax player but it could have been another wind instrument.
I keep playing Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and various compilation LP’s of Jazz big band orchestras etc, but I‘ve not hit on him yet. I know it’s a long shot, but he reminds me every hour of this musician and I know it would mean so very much to him. If you have a few moments and something rings a bell with you, however obscure please let me know. Thank you in advance of any effort you make. Mark Dwyer.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Charlie Parker died in his 30's in 1954. But very definitely not English.

Adrian63

Very sad Mark I'm sorry and will have a long think !! Freddie is a good call as is Tubby though a little more obscure maybe ?
With respect ; is Brian sure the player passed away ? For some reason Ronnie Scott springs to mind..doesn't quite match the criteria but an icon of the British Jazz scene..
Best
Ade

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Hi @Mark D.

You could also give Sidney Bechet a whirl

From your description, I bet your F-in-law likes him, even if Sidney's demographics don't fit

Mark D.

Thank you all, it was Freddie Gardner, I downloaded 50 tracks he played on and the playlist is now playing back to back In his room, much to the family’s annoyance.

He has started to withdraw and his hands are purple and cold, but, so I’m told from his fellow music buddy’s, he his fingering note perfect on his bed cover in time to the sax and clarinet parts of those tracks. It had meant a lot to him that he has heard Freddie again.

Though you may consider this a simple thing I can’t thank you enough for your efforts in this, you’ve all been quite wonderful, hold your heads high, you’ve done a good thing for Brian and you have my lasting respect and gratitude for stepping up.
Kind Regards
Mark Dwyer.

ESJohn

Subscriber
Wow! You have done a great thing for your father-in-law! Losing a parent is so hard and this is such a special time for you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. A friend of mine still has her dad's alto sax (a selmer bundy, I think) and she is in her 70's. She spoke of his "gigs" he played as part of a band.
Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I am so glad that there are members here that found your answer for you!

Mark D.

Brian passed yesterday afternoon, 21/8/20 peacefully and with his music playing softly around him, Whilst we are sad, tinged with relief, we are confident we couldn’t have done more to make his passing easier. You good people helped with this. Thank you again.

Top Bottom