All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Playing solos in the Orchestra.

Nick Cook

I've got my Jazz Grade 3 exam on Tuesday next week. I mentioned this to the director of the orchestra I play in and she said, "Oh good, you can do a couple of the pieces at the Easter concert".

Doh!!! That'll teach me not to open my mouth!!!

thehunt

Nick, when i play in the band, i leave the MP in my mouth, all the time, that way you don't make stupid mistakes and say the wrong thing. If a bum note has been played i generally nod either left or right works for me.:w00t: lol
I've got my Jazz Grade 3 exam on Tuesday next week. I mentioned this to the director of the orchestra I play in and she said, "Oh good, you can do a couple of the pieces at the Easter concert".

Doh!!! That'll teach me not to open my mouth!!!

Linky Lee

I just attempt to play the melody as my solo. People seem to think the mistakes are 'embellishments'... :p

I really enjoyed playing in orchestras and big bands and soloing was a great way to improve my confidence. Focus on making a big strong sound and keep it simple, take pauses to breathe and let the music rest and let your sense of melody lead you. - the skill to learn in soloing is learning to listen to yourself as you play. It's great fun and once you've done a few solos, improved a bit and built up that much more confidence your playing in the section will come on tenfold!

Give it a go!

RedBottom

Don't we do some daft things when we're on a run? At Christmas I played the first piece I have ever played in any ensemble less than a full band - i.e. a quartet. Spurred on by that and the lousy playing of a (now ex-member) soloist with more ego than skill, I've actually volunteered a solo for next time round. Moreover I've roped in a fellow player with all of three years' experience, but who also happens to be a sometime pianist. She's tried the piano part and said she'll do it, but I don't know which of us will be bricking it the most on the night.:eek:

phooesnax

Go for it. Solos make public speaking a breeze. Once you do this nothing will scare other than budget bungy jumpin.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom