support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wind Controller Playing in the right key....

RedRobin

On the EWI 4000s, if I'm playing a tenor sax sample ('Mr T Sax' via Kontakt in Logic 9), should I transpose my EWI to Bb?

I suggest Bb because I think that a tenor sax is a Bb instrument but I don't know and also I don't know much about music theory (can't read sheet music etc and I just wing everything).

Thanks for any help :)

Doesn't it depend on whether you are going to use the EWI or keyboard without the use of any other transposing instrument, in which case no, just leave everything in C. Should it be in any other key, either input everything in C and transpose to the wanted key in Logic or record everything in the required key using transposing facilities on the EWI, id est Bb for soprano and tenor and Eb for alto and baritone. Now if you had that nice Mr. Thomas's samples, you could have Bb trumpet, Bb Clarinet and other instruments to add to your Mr T samples but don't take any notice of me as I'm one of music's great theoretical illiterates.

Firstly, have a great new year! :)

My problem is that I've got a track lane in Logic as one AIF which is a whole backing track consisting of many "old" hardware synths etc where the parts aren't separable. I have run Logic's Tuner plug-in to see its key but it moves around too much. The lead synth giving me the problem of trying to be in tune with it and isn't helped by being a bit swirly (Legato?).

Logic gives the song's 'Signature' as 'C' but I thought that was by default. My 'Mr T Sax' is the only instrument to be added. The new song being my friend's DnB genre song featuring myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the piece is in C then OG (naturally) is right and it will be Bb for Sop/Ten and Eb for Alto/Bari.

Legato is a term referring to the style of playing - meaning 'smooth' i.e. join the notes together smoothly. Unless you were referring to somethign else?

Are you able to see any music (i.e. staff notation) for this? Does it have a key signature?

Well thanks for clearing that one up Rhys...shows how wrong one can be and i see the two sharps thing now so in other words if a group says right we,r in A i simply add two sharps and play in tenor B right ?

Well thanks for clearing that one up Rhys...shows how wrong one can be and i see the two sharps thing now so in other words if a group says right we,r in A i simply add two sharps and play in tenor B right ?

....Does that mean that two wrongs make a right? :D

Well, I got lost a few posts back when other key letters got mentioned.

I'm just gonna switch my EWI into Bb and hear what happens! Today I've already gone a long way to solving my problem simply by adding a lot of reverb to my 'Mr T Sax' track and kicking it much further back in the mix. One or two note moves in MIDI should help too.

Thanks for helping, guys - It's appreciated :thumb:

And I'm pleased if my quezzie has inadvertently helped someone else!

RedRobin;63823 [QUOTE said:
And I'm pleased if my quezzie has inadvertently helped someone else!
Yeah just been working on it so like Rhys said you just add the two sharps.
Then this got me thinking, what if the "band" says right we're in Eb, well we seem to remove two flats to give us F for tenor.

I like to think in intervals when transposing from concert key to Bb or Eb. To go to Bb (clarinet, tenor, soprano sax) I go up 1 whole step. To go to Eb (alto, bari sax) I go up a 6th. Since I played a lot from piano sheet music growing up playing alto, it is still easier for me to sight read up a 6th than it is to read up a whole step.

AspirinHeadache.jpg

I'm just going to rely on "If it sounds good, it is good"!

Before you slag me off too much, the OP was about the EWI. It is equipped with a neat little window that allows you to transpose to any 12 settings.

Therefore you can either play the samples in transposing or non-transposing forms. Then DTW usually allow individual tracks to be adjusted in pitch and so the correct answer is to quote the football pools coupon, "Perm any x from x".

Apologies for being serious and attempting to be helpful.