PPT mouthpieces

Playing in a band

Ballymenaboy

Just recently started playing with a Jazz Band of about 16 members and had some trepidation about my sight reading which had fallen into decay however with the help of some of the other sax players in the band my reading has come on a lot and it is a fantastic experience playing with others for a change.
Playing a part in an arrangement is totally different from playing with backing tracks at home and the discipline of playing with others was another challenge that I am enjoying.

First gig coming up on 27th July at Red Sails Festival in Portstewart ,N.Ireland where we are doing a 90 minute show.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Are you enjoying it or posting here that you are enjoying it to try and convince yourself you're enjoying it or to create extra pressure for yourself, so as to carry on with it, whereby your peers here periodically quiz you about the band and whether you're still enjoying it? o_O

I ask as my tech yesterday tried to convince me to join in with an event at: Music for Everyone rather than continue to play with by myself at home.

I'll always find excuses... but the few times I have played with others it's been overall an enjoyable experience.

Are you enjoying it or posting here that you are enjoying it to try and convince yourself you're enjoying it or to create extra pressure for yourself, so as to carry on with it, whereby your peers here periodically quiz you about the band and whether you're still enjoying it? o_O

I ask as my tech yesterday tried to convince me to join in with an event at: Music for Everyone rather than continue to play with by myself at home.

I'll always find excuses... but the few times I have played with others it's been overall an enjoyable experience.
You’ve said it all.

I don't need to convice myself that I am enjoying it..if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it.Glad you corrected the grammar in your message...who knows where the thread would have gone had you not done so.Thank you for replying

Good luck on your first gig. I've got 2 gigs that day, one big band sight reading gig (tenor sax/flute/clarinet) and the other trad jazz combo (bass sax), 6 hours total. It's going to be a long day but lots of fun. I'm off to rehearsal this evening for a different big band (I'm in 4 different ones on and off). It's good to be busy again.

Good luck on your first gig. I've got 2 gigs that day, one big band sight reading gig (tenor sax/flute/clarinet) and the other trad jazz combo (bass sax), 6 hours total. It's going to be a long day but lots of fun. I'm off to rehearsal this evening for a different big band (I'm in 4 different ones on and off). It's good to be busy again.
Many thanks for that

I enjoy playing with the Orchestra. I posted about my experience as I know how daunting it can be playing with others.

My sight reading has improved vastly, helped by the fact everything we play is new to me.

I've volunteered myself to help with some of the solo's as there's only the 1 Alto player who's been doing them all. They're a good player but glad of some help. Certainly pushing my comfort zone.

Playing a part in an arrangement is totally different from playing with backing tracks at home and the discipline of playing with others was another challenge that I am enjoying.
Yes, to be a part of a band is fun and the best way to play my saxes. As the only horn/sax player or in a horn section. I have give up to play in a blues or rock & roll band. There is simply not enough of musicians that are interested in blues and rock & roll music. I don't want to travel too long for rehearsals. For me it's important that members of a band share the same interest for the music. It wouldn't be fair to the band members If I tried to play a jazz songs with musicians that keep the jazz close to their hearts. I'm 100 % rocksax. Or at least 99%.

After playing in a real band, backing track is the second best. I keep up my reading with playing new or old songs. I have many arrangements for 3-horn sections (trp, ts, bs). First time I play the trumpet part. Second time I play the tenor part (both on tenor) and third time I play the bari lines. The fourth time I play the tenor in the way I would do if I was the only horn player. And I pick the right keys as well so my fingers remember the fingerings for 6 or 7 sharps. Backing tracks are good but can never replace the real thing.

Good luck and enjoy the time with the band/orchestra.

Last edited:
I wrote a post a while ago, which is now stored as an article on why everyone should join a group of some sort.

I agree with Digger2054.
I enjoy playing with the Orchestra. I posted about my experience as I know how daunting it can be playing with others.

My sight reading has improved vastly, helped by the fact everything we play is new to me.
We just had a concert yesterday at a nursing facility to commemorate Memorial Day (officially Monday). Our attendance was virtually 100% and we played before an appreciative crowd of seniors and elderly folks. I'm sure that many of them experienced the horrors of war. There was a choir made up of residents that sang Eternal Father, Strong to Save. They actually did a fine job of presenting it.
One of our trumpet players also sang "Wing and a Prayer" as part of the program. He was later pressed into service to play Taps when some confusion occurred among the honor guard there that had been charged with the responsibility. It was nearly flawless, even though he had no time to prepare or music to use. This same member gave me a music stand light at our Monday rehearsal. He had bought a new one and I just happened to be nearby at the right time. The fellowship and experiences like yesterday are a few reasons that I participate.

If there is a flip side, it's that I need to focus most of my efforts and time on the music for the band. To try to find time to learn SOTM's and other songs that I simply enjoy becomes more difficult.

Just recently started playing with a Jazz Band of about 16 members and had some trepidation about my sight reading which had fallen into decay however with the help of some of the other sax players in the band my reading has come on a lot and it is a fantastic experience playing with others for a change.

First gig coming up on 27th July at Red Sails Festival in Portstewart ,N.Ireland where we are doing a 90 minute show.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
What has made the difference for you in your sight reading? I too have had jazz band experiences where the reading was the hardest part.

What has made the difference for you in your sight reading? I too have had jazz band experiences where the reading was the hardest part.
Rehearsals helped but actually having to read made me practice much more with sheet music. I suppose like a lot of things the more you do it the easier it becomes.I took the time to highlight all the repeat bars on the music parts as I easily missed some of these when reading the dots.

FWIW, “sight reading” is reading something through without prior exposure. After that, you are just “reading”.

What are your challenges? Reading rhythms or hitting the right notes? It all gets easier with practice, but there are some things that can increase the pace of progress.

If you want help with anything, let us know. Else, g’luck!

Playing a part in an arrangement is totally different
Yes. When I play an arrangement I close my ears and just concentrate to play what is written on the sheet music. And most guys in the big band did the same. But it was just me that thought it was a problem. I didn't play from my heart, I just played from the sheet music. I was a bad boy already in the late 60's when I refused to play in a marching-/concert band for young players.

Yes. When I play an arrangement I close my ears and just concentrate to play what is written on the sheet music. And most guys in the big band did the same. But it was just me that thought it was a problem. I didn't play from my heart, I just played from the sheet music. I was a bad boy already in the late 60's when I refused to play in a marching-/concert band for young players.

I have been mentoring a high school jazz band this past year, and your experience is a common one. When players are focussing on the notes, it’s hard to get to the next level. Once the notes are out of the way, players can listen to one another, hear how their part complements the arrangement, apply dynamics and articulation, and start making music. Playing in a good big band can be a joy.