support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Playing for Change Day

Account Closed
For the past two years I have organized this event in my city. You've probably seen the Playing for Change video? There are many more here: Videos Archive - Playing for Change
These events are for fun and education, as well as to support the foundation via donations. In my situation, we donate our time but the restaurant where I do this can't charge a cover. I haven't tried to pass the hat or anything, but hopefully the event itself makes people aware of the foundation and the idea it supports. Maybe they go to the web site to donate.

If you want to produce an event, they have all the graphics available and the site will do a page with photos, videos, whatever. It's a good way to get publicity for your band or as an artist. Check out Playing for Change 2019.

"On Playing For Change Day, communities will gather as musicians and music lovers from all over the world to perform on stages, street corners, schools, yoga studios, and cafes all with the goal of bringing music into the lives of young people."

This is our event in Bordeaux. Someone in the States reached out to me and she's extending her trip to be a part of the evening. Very cool.
It's easy to do one of these if you can find a space that will agree to it. All of you who play out might benefit from doing one of these September 21st, 2019 in your area.

Hmm, I'm almost certain the public library would lend their big ol room, but I'm not really sure if I'm qualified...

Are events meant to be a concert that asks for donations to the organization or more of a teaching event? In your opinion, what kind of qualifications are needed, @randulo?

Last edited:
Are events meant to be a concert that asks for donations to the organization or more of a teaching event? In your opinion, what kind of qualifications are needed, @randulo?
Zero qualifications! They give you a page on their site and tons of color promo PDFs in several languages. If the situation allows donations, they'll accept them, but in my case I can't do it. If you have a good program with concerts and multiple groups, donations would certainly be acceptable. We just have a rag-tag of jam session stuff (which happens every single night there anyway) and it's a chance for me to play in public. This time, I'm planning on using a backing tape. I'm not sure what groups if any will show up. I like to play early, although there's usually few people there until much later.

My rationalisation is that the word about PFC is spread and some will donate on the site.

@randulo you are brave trying this in France. It is not (yet) in our culture to do such found raising stuff. But it's worth a try and with the help of some social media, who knows it may start something...

Then, as long as it brings fun and music, it's a great event to organize.

Enjoy!

I don't actually do it to raise funds, because it's a restaurant and a friend, but this is the third or fourth year we've done it. This year, a woman who contacted me through the site is coming to town and staying an extra day for the evening. She must have found it looking for Bordeaux, because she's coming on business a few days before. No pressure!

The 'event' is in a small local ethnic restaurant. I've received emails from people saying they won a trip to France from Brazil to come. This is so implausible, I wonder what it's about. However, one person extended her stay in the city to come. Someone called from Germany to reserve for 12 people. Again, I can't help wonder if that was a joke.

This is the third year I have done this at the same place. The past two, there's been no difference in the 'crowd', it was like any other Saturday. I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew!

I will say this. The few musicians who've said they are participating couldn't get it together to send any material to put on the international web site. I think it's odd that they expect me to go find the stuff, especially since they're not exactly stars. With the advent of smartphones, it isn't hard to get photos, posed or of gigs or rehearsals. A missed opportunity.

We raised 141 euros last night and my 16 minute "gig" went ok. Sure there were a few mistakes, some lyrics forgotten, but once in a while, a phrase sounded ok. I used the Myers Pickup to record a direct saxophone signal to the H2 hoping to supplement the video recording if need be.