All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Other Playing blues

Punchysax

Locality
Hitchin
Hi,
I love blues music on sax , how is the best way to play the blues , improvise over the different blues scales ?
Regards

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Hi,
I love blues music on sax , how is the best way to play the blues , improvise over the different blues scales ?
Regards
Hi. A lot of people start with just the minor pentatonic or blues scales of the tonic of the key. I am glad that I learned a different way though. I learned first using the 7th arpeggios of each chord and then the major pentatonic scales for the I IV V chords. Then add the tonic minor pentatonic and blues scales as highlights within that framework. That'll get you started. Think about adding mixolydian scales for dominant chords and dorian for minor chords later. Blues fans always welcome another joining the club.

John Setchell

Locality
Norfolk UK
Hi,
Regards
There seems to be two schools on playing the Blues.
One is to focus on the chord changes and scales, and become technically proficient at playing them appropriately. You end up with a rather jazzy Blues IMO.
The other is to close you eyes (behind cheap sunglasses!) and play for hours against Blues backing tracks & jamming. It becomes a “feel”.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Hi,
Regards
We use to learn/play the one chord blues and tried to play/improvise over the chord with one tone. It's is not easy. "Is not what you play, it's how you play it".

Some good blues songs.

"Juke", Little Walter.
View: https://youtu.be/3p2ok3vmUbQ

"Bo Diddley", Bo Diddley. Bo Diddley tells his story over one chord. To accept and like the neccessary repeatation is a must if you want to play the real blues.
View: https://youtu.be/PXIX-A1Lk-Y

"Mannish Boy", Muddy Waters, Also a one chord blues. This is a must for every blues saxophonist. Key? Just play the tones in the riff. On many old blues recordings with sax the saxophone played more or less along with the harmonica or what the harmonica player would do. The singer and harmonica player were often the sam person. Here you play when singer is not singing.
View: https://youtu.be/j0hfiUa0NHA

One tone tenor sax playing/solo. Concert key of Ab, Bb and A is fine. Tenor sax in Bb (the tenor is more or less made to play in this key), C and B. Use one tone in differnt patterns, alternative fingerings, overtones ...... I real master when it comes to one-tone sax playing is/was Red Prysock. Why didn't he do "Bo Diddley"?
onetone.JPG
Maybe I shall add concert B (C# on tenor) as well.

Last edited:

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
There seems to be two schools on playing the Blues.
One is to focus on the chord changes and scales, and become technically proficient at playing them appropriately. You end up with a rather jazzy Blues IMO.
The other is to close you eyes (behind cheap sunglasses!) and play for hours against Blues backing tracks & jamming. It becomes a “feel”.
Or both.

Randy Hunter recommends practicing blues without backing tracks often. That leads you to bringing out the changes more.

John Setchell

Locality
Norfolk UK
Or both.

Randy Hunter recommends practicing blues without backing tracks often. That leads you to bringing out the changes more.
Probably good advice (which I loosely follow) but he’s a bit at the jazzy end of the Blues spectrum for my tastes TBH.

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Just a reminder that there is a section on this site for players to listen to and practice styles like the blues. Here's a very easy and slow example:
R & B, Blues, Soul - #257
The first track is with sax and the second is without for you to practice.
There are 31 blues tracks available and you'll find that within that genera there are a lot of different styles. Wikiloops Backing Tracks

John Setchell

Locality
Norfolk UK
Just a reminder that there is a section on this site for players to listen to and practice styles like the blues. Here's a very easy and slow example:
R & B, Blues, Soul - #257
The first track is with sax and the second is without for you to practice.
There are 31 blues tracks available and you'll find that within that genera there are a lot of different styles. Wikiloops Backing Tracks
Thanks for the lead Wade, and nice inspiration!
I must have a dig around in Wikiloops sometime, when I’ve become bored with long tone practice - which won’t be long!

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom